Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a winter wheel/tire set in the coming month to avoid the mad rush once everyone starts worrying about imminent snow again.

The plan is to to buy 17" wheels for winter use only. Likely going with a Sparco wheel from Tire Rack, but not 100% decided on that just yet. Actual wheel is very much TBD-- right now my main concern is tire size.

I'd like to gain a little ground clearance for the inevitable snow/ice packs that always end up on the roads, and to be able to make it through a little more snow than is possible at stock height. The building I work at is on a road that is usually among the last to get plowed (if it gets plowed at all), so any extra bit of clearance helps.

The stock tire on my car is 245/45/18 - 26.7" tall x 9.6" wide.
The other sizes that I've come across in the same range are:
-245/60/17 - 26.6" x 9.7"
-225/55/17 - 26.7" x 8.9"
-235/55/17 - 27.2" x 9.3"
-225/60/17 - 27.6" x 8.9"
-245/55/17 - 27.6" x 9.7"
-215/65/17 - 28.0" x 8.5"
-235/60/17 - 28.1" x 9.3"

The problem I'm having is that I can't find anything on the biggest diameter tire that will fit on a stock height 2015+ WRX (mine is a 2017). Ideally I'd be considering the 215/65/17, 235/60/17, and 245/55/17 sizes-- but I'm not sure if they will fit. It's not a huge jump in tire size-- 1.3" bigger overall for even the biggest of those three-- but I don't know how much of an increase the WRX can handle without any rubbing.

Has anybody had any luck going up in size? Or has anybody read/heard anything about the tallest tire that will fit? I've done a ton of searching and am at a loss here. Obviously this isn't urgent seeing as it's going to be 90*F here in CT today and tomorrow, but the sooner I get the winter set ordered the sooner I can relax and enjoy the fall.

Thanks in advance...

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the height that I'm more concerned about. The speedometer being off doesn't bother me; I drove an Avalanche for 7 years on tires that were 3" bigger than stock...speedo was off by a good bit, wasn't much of a problem (just have to be mindful of it).

As for the WRX tires, I just caught a mistake on my part. Stock size is 245/40/18, not 245/45/18. Works out to 25.7 x 9.6, smaller than what I had thought. I did a Live Chat with TireRack and was told I can't really upsize at all. They claim to have test-fit the car to see what sizes will fit and told me nothing upsized will fit at all. I suppose that means I'm looking more at the following sizes:
-215/50/17 - 25.5" x 8.5"
-245/45/17 - 25.7" x 9.6"
-225/50/17 - 25.9" x 8.9"
-235/50/17 - 26.3" x 9.3"

I realize the 235/50 size is in fact upsizing but I have a hard time believing the car can't handle going from 25.7" to 26.3" overall.

Right now I'm thinking that 225/50/17 may be the best bet, only *slightly* taller than stock but somewhat narrower (better for snow). If anybody has run these before or can shed some light on running a narrower tire, that would be great.

Any words of wisdom on this? Thanks again.

· Registered
100 Posts
my winter set up is 225/45/17 and it fits with tons of room to spare. While I am speaking from limited experience on what tire sizes can fit in the wrx wheel well I have a hard time believing that you could not fit a 50 or 55 series tire in there. Furthermore, I do not know the exact offset of my wheels as I bought them used and since they are a winter dedicated wheel I honestly didnt care. I also find that Tirerack does not deviate much at all from what comes on the factory. This is sometimes due to legal issues where if something happened to the car they do not want to be held liable in the slightest.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also find that Tirerack does not deviate much at all from what comes on the factory. This is sometimes due to legal issues where if something happened to the car they do not want to be held liable in the slightest.
Not surprised by that at all.

What year is your car? That's only a 25" tall tire, smaller than is stock on a 2017 with the 18" wheels...

· Registered
154 Posts
I'm running 215-50-17 Dunlop Winter Maxx on mine. It was one of the alternative sizes suggested on the Tire Rack website.

I like the skinnier tires a lot when it comes to snow driving and don't have any clearance issues whatsoever, even with Rokblox installed. They are squishy and imprecise when cornering on dry pavement, at least in comparison to the summer 18 inchers, but that's a tradeoff to be expected.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running 215-50-17 Dunlop Winter Maxx on mine. It was one of the alternative sizes suggested on the Tire Rack website.

I like the skinnier tires a lot when it comes to snow driving and don't have any clearance issues whatsoever, even with Rokblox installed. They are squishy and imprecise when cornering on dry pavement, at least in comparison to the summer 18 inchers, but that's a tradeoff to be expected.
Thanks for the input. Definitely a size on my list of potential sizes. I've read a lot about the narrower tires being better in snow/mud/etc., but am undecided as far as picking the actual size. Did you go with the short or long Rokblokz? I'd like to pick up a set prior to winter, thinking short is the way to go.

· Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the input. Definitely a size on my list of potential sizes. I've read a lot about the narrower tires being better in snow/mud/etc., but am undecided as far as picking the actual size. Did you go with the short or long Rokblokz? I'd like to pick up a set prior to winter, thinking short is the way to go.
Bend is serious snow country in the winter, and I'm a big fan of going narrower for my winter tires. I didn't really put a lot of thought into the height, but I think your reasoning is sound on the ground clearance issue. The skinnier tires dig into the snow rather than floating over them and it makes a big difference. Everything is stock as far as ride height, but I went with the shorter Rokblokz primarily because I prefer that look on the car. They do a good job of keeping the road mess off the side of the car.

I'm with you on planning ahead for winter tires. I had my snow tires/rims on order from Tire Rack even before I laid hands on my WRX. I just picked up an '08 Impreza 5-door for my daughter to drive back and forth to Eugene for college and the first thing I did was to go looking for snow tires to avoid the big rush in October/November. I was rewarded by finding a set of used General Altimax already mounted on steelies at my local tire shop for only $300. I went down from 16" to 15" tire/rims on that one too.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bend is serious snow country in the winter, and I'm a big fan of going narrower for my winter tires. I didn't really put a lot of thought into the height, but I think your reasoning is sound on the ground clearance issue. The skinnier tires dig into the snow rather than floating over them and it makes a big difference. Everything is stock as far as ride height, but I went with the shorter Rokblokz primarily because I prefer that look on the car. They do a good job of keeping the road mess off the side of the car.

I'm with you on planning ahead for winter tires. I had my snow tires/rims on order from Tire Rack even before I laid hands on my WRX. I just picked up an '08 Impreza 5-door for my daughter to drive back and forth to Eugene for college and the first thing I did was to go looking for snow tires to avoid the big rush in October/November. I was rewarded by finding a set of used General Altimax already mounted on steelies at my local tire shop for only $300. I went down from 16" to 15" tire/rims on that one too.
How much snow have you had it in? Curious as to how the Generals do in the deeper stuff. I may give the narrower size a shot.

· Registered
154 Posts
How much snow have you had it in? Curious as to how the Generals do in the deeper stuff. I may give the narrower size a shot.
I've had the WRX out in maybe 6" of fresh light powder on top of packed stuff. Clearance does become an issue if it gets much deeper than that, but by then the plows have usually done their thing unless you go looking for deeper stashes on back roads. Driving in those kind of conditions is an absolute blast! The ESC/Traction control will kick in pretty early to prevent any shenanigans though, so you have to be willing to turn them off. The only car I've had as much fun in and felt so in control on snow was my old A4.

I haven't run the Generals yet, but I'm looking forward to taking the new to me '08 Impreza out in them when the snow starts falling. I've heard good things about them, and they are certainly priced right in comparison to the bigger name brands.

· Registered
31 Posts
I'm running stock rims this winter on my 17 Limited, 18x8.5 with Blizzak winter tires 245/40R-18. I've only had the car for little over a month and I plan on buying a new set of rims after winter. I was interested in a taller sidewall because I work in the Bronx but was told it'll mess with speedometer/odometer. Maybe a couple seasons down the line Ill buy 17s for winter to get the taller sidewall.

· Premium Member
81 Posts
Ross16, I picked up a set of Generals at Tire Rack in Windsor CT last year and couldn't be happier with them. I went with 235/45R17 as I hadn't really consider a narrower size. I'm down by the shore so we didn't get hammered with snow like we did mid-state, nevertheless they performed admirably and I think you'll be pleased with any size you decide on. I also have a front lip and Rokblokz shorts and had no issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.