ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at the dealer yesterday buying an oil filter, and finally asked about the severe lack of WRX's and STI's on their lot. They had 1 wrx no STI's. They are a rather large Subaru dealer and in the past 2-3 years have had 10-20 of each on the lot at a time. I spoke with the sales manager and he said his last 2012 STI is coming in the end of June, and that is the last 2012 they will ship them. He also said the 2012 wrx well has essentially run dry too, with 1-2 trickling in here or there.

So when does everyone think the 2013's will be revealed? Seems kind of foolish on Subaru's part to wait till fall and lose all the sales during the peak car buying season. Will we get a July or August roll out of the new models? Or will the new models be revealed during the Fall/Winter show season?

My hopes:

STI: for keeping the 5 door STI, 2.0L Turbo in the same power range (300/300) with 30MPG on the freeway, 21city and about 26MPG combined.
WRX: updated interior styling, keep the 5 door, the new chain drive 2.0L in a similar power output with mileage in the 33mpg freeway/25mpg city 29mpg combined realm.

Discuss..

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Ughhh...chain drive would be amazing.

I imagine they will start using the FA20 engine from the BRZ, as they already stated they will be using that with its direct injection in the Legacy GT. You can expect 30mpgs from it...cause a 23mpg hwy STI just won't cut it anymore.

I hope they continue with some kind of decent looking styling at least.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
What about the idea of doing away with the WRX/STi split? Just have one line but in different trim.

Also, don't most car makers start selling the next model years in August and September. I seem to remember this being very common. Has that changed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Given the fact that they just changed the style i dont think they'd do any new/major overhall....mayeb slight tweeks here and there.

30MPG would be awesome!!!! I would wait for the 2013 :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a 2012 PBP sedan but it wont be here until the end of May. My dealer also has very few 2012s coming and zero stock. From what I have read the 2013 will be pretty much the same car as the 2012 and the next refresh will be 2014.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the idea of doing away with the WRX/STi split? Just have one line but in different trim.

Also, don't most car makers start selling the next model years in August and September. I seem to remember this being very common. Has that changed?
I think you'd lose a lot of market share if you eliminated one option or the other. Sure everyone would love the STI, but I doubt the price point will drop, and that extra $7k-$10k, pushes it into unobtanium for younger drivers who are their core market. They need to keep a competitive product in the $25k range and the $35k range.

As far as model year sales, it varies widely model to model mfg to mfg. Some mfg's produce multiple models out of one factory and retool in between. In those instances you have staggered starts for any given model year.

When I bought my 2006 WRX in June of 2006, the 2007's were already being delivered and on the lot. I bought my wifes 2009 Mazda 3 in Nov of 2008 and it had been sitting since the summer time. When I bought my wifes 2011 Kia Sorento in June of 2011, it was the last 2011 on the lot and 2012's had been sitting there for a few months. When Subaru released the 2009 Forester, it was an early roll out.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought a 2012 PBP sedan but it wont be here until the end of May. My dealer also has very few 2012s coming and zero stock. From what I have read the 2013 will be pretty much the same car as the 2012 and the next refresh will be 2014.
Not that I believe they know anymore than internet rumors, but the dealer while I was there made a comment of the 2013 being slightly refreshed styling wise and powered by a 2.0L-T with option levels being different.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

I doubt they will merge them...then what? You end up with the new WRX...in STI trim. So in essence, you still have an STI!!!!

I also heard that the 2013 WRX will remain similar and 2014 is when the overhaul will come. Makes sense as it seems to be what Subaru has gotten into doing. Bugeye lasted 2 years. Blobeye was two years. Hawkeye was 2 years, even though they were all the same generation, those were pretty significant design changes that lasted 6 total years. Then the 3rd Gen had 2 technical designs with the boring and widebody styles starting in 2008. I imagine 2014 will be another new generation as it's a total of 6 years after the last gen.

·
Banned
296 Posts
The WRX is in desperate need of an all new model. How could anyone get excited about a slight tweek for the 13' ? If you bought a 13' that had minimal changes, you'd be buying a car with 6+year old technology, and an mpg rating that was bad 6 years ago. It wouldn't make sense to me if they put the new flagship engine (fa20) into a body style thats outdated. I believe they're saving that engine for the big change in 2014.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The WRX is in desperate need of an all new model. How could anyone get excited about a slight tweek for the 13' ? If you bought a 13' that had minimal changes, you'd be buying a car with 6+year old technology, and an mpg rating that was bad 6 years ago. It wouldn't make sense to me if they put the new flagship engine (fa20) into a body style thats outdated. I believe they're saving that engine for the big change in 2014.
So are saying I should cancel my deal on the 2012 WRX and wait for the 2014? Do you have a car I can borrow until then as my current car was destroyed in a storm?

·
Banned
296 Posts
So are saying I should cancel my deal on the 2012 WRX and wait for the 2014? Do you have a car I can borrow until then as my current car was destroyed in a storm?
That's exactly what I'm saying. I have a 96' Sonoma you can borrow, but only if you fix the brakes first, because they're in bad shape right now and I don't want you to get hurt out there.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard on Autoblog or one of those sites that there will still be a WRX and STI, but the "Impreza" name will no longer be associated with those models.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I heard on Autoblog or one of those sites that there will still be a WRX and STI, but the "Impreza" name will no longer be associated with those models.
I think this is becoming pretty widespread now. Because if you look at the current Impreza revamp, there's no way you can make that thing look all pretty because racecar. It'd end up being a Toyota Matrix with a turbo. They will have to do something separate them. Also this will keep their overall MPG numbers looking better for the Impreza for whatever government standards that may help with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's exactly what I'm saying. I have a 96' Sonoma you can borrow, but only if you fix the brakes first, because they're in bad shape right now and I don't want you to get hurt out there.
Thanks man you are too nice :) I hear where you are coming from but I have wanted a WRX for a long time and I really love the 2012. I also like the fact that the platform is proven in terms of mod etc... No matter how long I wait my new car will eventually be overshadowed by a newer model. So I think you should go ahead and ship the truck down to Texas for me and I will drive it to keep the miles Dow on my 2012 WRX :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts