ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I definately want to get the AP and run stage 1 and get a cat back for some better throttle response and sound. Question is - what reasons would there be for not just adding a downpipe and going stage 2? As in reliability, gas mileage, driveability, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
If you're going to do it, go big...wait until you have Accessport and a full turbo back (+ up pipe) and go all out. I had my up pipe in, then my turbo back and then my ecu, all I can say is it wasn't that great until everything was in and working together. Before the ecu my car fell on its face in the upper rpms (guess my stocker wasn't used to it yet).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
Snowvert said:
I don't see any reason to get stage 1. get the dp, get stage 2 and call it a day.
Better yet get a downpipe with an electronic cutout and leave your stock catback for teh sl33p3rn3ss :wiggles:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,301 Posts
SERacing said:
Better yet get a downpipe with an electronic cutout and leave your stock catback for teh sl33p3rn3ss :wiggles:
^^^do this

wish i thought about that before i got my exhaust. oh well....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
bluerex47 said:
^^^do this

wish i thought about that before i got my exhaust. oh well....
+1, instead of spending so much on a turbo back I could have the best of both worlds, quietness during the day and then tons of free flowing exhaust by night. Why didn't someone come out with this about two years ago. Oh and its cheaper so there are more then just two benefits, I would love to be hanging out at a spot, get called out for looking stock and then see the expression on the cars face when you're sounding like jet engine next to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
cliff201 said:
So I definately want to get the AP and run stage 1 and get a cat back for some better throttle response and sound. Question is - what reasons would there be for not just adding a downpipe and going stage 2? As in reliability, gas mileage, driveability, etc.
Warrenty? ;) LOL...

No, get a full exhaust right away. Choose your exhaust carefully if you don't want much exhaust sound.

Reliability is not much affected unless you drive it like you stole it.

you can "never" have enough power I'll keep modding untill I reach stage 105, then it will be fully converted into a spaceship and my 1/4mile time will be less than 15 millisec :tongue:
 

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
Joined
·
48,699 Posts
I started with Cobb Stage 1, and said that it would be all I wanted.
2 months later I was running Stage 2 with dp and catback. I said that I was done.
Now, I'm in the middle of a turbo upgrade. It's a freakin' drug.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
I started with Cobb Stage 1, and said that it would be all I wanted.
2 months later I was running Stage 2 with dp and catback. I said that I was done.
Now, I'm in the middle of a turbo upgrade. It's a freakin' drug.:rolleyes:
I hear that!...I was supposed to buy Morrettes off my buddy as my first mod...and he fell through on me so I decided I wanted a little more punch in my car (since my friend had a pretty much stock wrx) and got an up pipe and mbc...and now I have almost everything in to finish my Stage 4...and I never looked back, after my first hp mods I never thought about exterior mods again...boost is one helluva drug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
don't use that valve too much tho. Best bet is to keep it closed unless your on the track/racing somone. The exhaust doesn't stop halfway to the muffler for a reason, it will corrode stuff eventually. You know what it does to your muffler tip imagine that on the underside of your car. Its just somthing to keep in mind, its not a huge problem if you wash it down under there ocasionaly or don't use it much.

Basicly its the same thing as running you exhaust test.
Which is taking everything after the downpipe off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,357 Posts
you can alway run dual exhaust...one with cat and quiet muffler, and one that's all about free flow. of course someone might take a picture and put it up in the "rice patrol" section for having dual exhaust on a 4-cyl car...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top