ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to decide what car I want to buy. I know I want a Subaru. My favorite car is the WRX with the new body style. It gives me goosebumps when I see one. I have been pondering for months on whether to buy a new 2012 WRX (base model) or a just get a 2012 Impreza.
The only reason is because of the price. The payment, gas, and insurance would be over $200 more a month than the Impreza. I bring home 3.2k/ month and dont have to many bills to pay so its easily affordable. Im going to put 15k down. The only thing holding me back is that extra 200+ a month. I think to much and wonder if im going to get bored of it and tired of paying for it? Down the road am i going wish i just bought the Impreza? I dont know.

Help me decide. Talk me into buying a WRX please.

(typed on my cell phone)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, i've been driving a 1998 cavalier for the past 4 years. Best car I ever had was a 05 tiburon GT.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just go test drive the 2011 models, that will be more than enough to make up your mind, as the 2012s won't be much different. Personally I'd say the wrx is worth it. I would regret just getting the impreza. But definitly go test drive the 2011 model of each and make you decision.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not really worried about the payment. Im def. Going to have one because im spending at least 23k. Just trying to make the best decision for me and i dont know what that is. I never had an awesome car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
if u like to engage in "spirited driving" you'll regret not buying the wrx. if u can give up fun fast acceleration and sharp handling at the expense of fuel economy and saving money u wont mind the impreza... but with the other guys said is so true... u can find a lot of other nice cars out there for 15 grand. go on auto trader, select a distance, and options such as manual or auto trans, awd or 2wd, whatever u want and put in ur 15k budget, u might be surprised as to what u can find in ur price range!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not positive but I gotta think you can get a 2012 Impreza or maybe a leftover 2011 for darn near $15K, and if you are putting that much down, are you saying no car payment vs car payment with the WRX? If that's the case, it's gonna come down to whether you value performance over economy.

Case in point: I drive a 2011 WRX sedan and one of my assistants drives a 2011 impreza sedan. She often parks next to me and one time I drove her car to get burgers. There is absolutely no comparison, looks, power, handling, etc. between the impreza and the WRX. Then again, she has a $200 or so a month lease and I have a $470 car payment plus $170 a month in outrageous car insurance. While I am financing mine at 2.0%, I probably pay over twice what she pays per month (pmt and insurance). I can afford though, and there is no way I would be driving a regular Impreza. For me it was between, 2009 335xi, 2009 G37xs, 2011 STi or the WRX. I like to say I went for the most bang for the buck. Zero regrets.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Because you want to come home to this everyday...

Be inspired. Love what you drive. And most importantly make the best decision for you. If you have the money than buy what you want. I can promise you this car doesnt get boring. I am in love with it everytime i sit in the driver seat. Best thing you can do is what everyone else is saying. Test drive. I wasnt even out looking for a car and drove passed the subaru dealer and there it was. I was just looking at first but then i asked the question, test drive. The car sold itself, honestly drive one. Youll love it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It sounds like you can easily afford the WRX so I would go for it. Like said above, the Impreza is very boring and in no way even compares to the fun you can have in the wrx.

And to be honest, I wouldn't worry about paying that extra $200 a month. I'd worry about the mod bug if you buy the wrx.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
My car isn't exactly yours, but the analogy is the same. I drive a 2003 WRX and love it. My friend bought a 2003 standard Impreza. After riding in my car (which is mostly stock), he immediately regretted not springing for a WRX. Test drive both and decide for yourself, but if you enjoyed your Tiburon, you will LOVE a WRX.

Also, since you have $15k to put down, have you thought about buying used? You can get a great 2005-2007 WRX for that money and have enough left over to satisfy the inevitable mod bug...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just jumped into car buying right when I got my job offer. Went to the dealer and test drive it, this is my first manual transmission car and it is so much fun to drive, I am just about to break my 1000 mile mark and I am sure that is where the REAL fun begins. I have been wanting an AWD car when i was car shopping and an SUV. Started looking at the 2011 Forester, when my friends told me about the WRX I knew I had to get it. This past year my two friends got a GTI and Civic Si. The Si friend drove my car for a little bit and was pissed he didn't buy the car, but he was really into fuel efficiency... although it would be nice to have a fuel efficient car it would be boring, my friends Si... lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies.
I guess i didnt calrify. 15k isnt my budget. Thats what i have for a down payment. A base wrx payment would only be like 240 or 250.
Im just new to this stuff. I never had a car payment. I never had a nrw car. So I dont really know what its like. I just know I love the wrx.
I did test drice a 2011 last month. Loved it.

Nive car Slitly. Love the hood.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My car isn't exactly yours, but the analogy is the same. I drive a 2003 WRX and love it. My friend bought a 2003 standard Impreza. After riding in my car (which is mostly stock), he immediately regretted not springing for a WRX. Test drive both and decide for yourself, but if you enjoyed your Tiburon, you will LOVE a WRX.

Also, since you have $15k to put down, have you thought about buying used? You can get a great 2005-2007 WRX for that money and have enough left over to satisfy the inevitable mod bug...
I did like driving that Tiburon and I know a wrx will be a whole lot better.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I guess i didnt calrify. 15k isnt my budget. Thats what i have for a down payment. A base wrx payment would only be like 240 or 250.
Im just new to this stuff. I never had a car payment. I never had a nrw car. So I dont really know what its like. I just know I love the wrx.
I did test drice a 2011 last month. Loved it.
Sounds about right. If you have that much down then you are set. They hold value really well if you take care of them.

I see you are in Pittsburgh. I'll take you for a ride in my car with just the Cobb stage 2 set up and that will help your decision even more, haha.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds about right. If you have that much down then you are set. They hold value really well if you take care of them.

I see you are in Pittsburgh. I'll take you for a ride in my car with just the Cobb stage 2 set up and that will help your decision even more, haha.
Haha I might takr ya up on that offer.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Figure out how long you're going to keep the car and then work out full costs all said for each model. Then divide by the number of days or months etc. and see what comes up. It may be that the costs aren't as high as the payments would indicate, since the payments will not last as long as the ownership period. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, makes sense SD_GR. Thank you.

I did factor in the insurance payments. That was included in the 200$ more on my original post. I got a quote if $127/month for a 2011 wrx.
Im 26 with a clean record.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wish I had 15k to put as a down to help me out with the monthly payments... lol

But I agree with everyone here, I think you'll be happy with a wrx if you chose to go that route. My 2011 wrx hatch is my first new car too. I also have a 01 Audi T which I drove before my wrx so when I was looking for a new car I wanted a performance car with awd for the weather in PA. Financially the wrx was the best route for me to go (it was between the 2011 STi or wrx). If I had the 15k as a down... I'd personally would of gotten the STi. Good luck with everything.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts