ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I are thinking about taking the WRX down to Texas for Thanksgiving with my family.

Since the car is tuned for the altitude up here, could I just load a Utec map written for sea level and expect the car not to run at a dangerous level? Would the map have to be programmed to near-identical mods that I have, or would a basic map work? Is there someway to load a map that runs off of the ECU? (this isn't preferrable, as the car was wicked slow without the utec).

I want to race a buddy of mine who has an 01 Fireturd. He ran a [email protected] at sea level (HRP). I know I can take him and I wanna rub it in his face. :wiggles:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a custom Ecutec reflash (which sucked giant cajones), then got the turbo XS utec.

And we now have custom maps for 91 octane high boost, 91 octane low boost, and two custom 100 octane maps (plus the valet/security maps).

Performance mods: VF34, STi injectors, STi intercooler, Walboro 255L/hr fuel pump, Bosal exhaust, bosal downpipe, STi uppipe, Injen CAI, Greddy boost controller, and the utec.

·
Registered
739 Posts
How high a boost is the high boost map?

I would venture to guess that you would gain some but not as much as an N/A car would gain going from high altitude to sea level.

I noticed a huge increase in power in my GSR when I took it down to Austin, Houston, South Padre. The most noticeable thing was when turning on the AC and not getting a huge power loss zappage.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Tricky. I'd suggest loading the basic stage 4 map. Bring your laptop, you may have to do some injector scaling once you get down there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
91 high boost is running at 20psi. Low boost is 16psi.

So should I download the base map from turbo xs, upload it to an empty slot on the utec, then run it once I'm down at sea level?

At what altitude should I switch maps?

·
Registered
986 Posts
when i would take my stage 4 (vf30) wrx to lincoln ne (1500') i would just run a map with less boost. it ran great. i found a station with 100 octane so i ran my high boost map. man it ran good.

my advice, creat a map with a very conservative boost map, and maybe make your timing map less aggressive by one or two degrees across the board.

you could run the standard stage 4 map, but even at lower elevations it is really rich. my buddy in NE started with that map and was still able to pull alot of fuel with no det.

my experience was all before the OLF, so not sure exactly how that affects stuff.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Where you switch over is irrelevant, just avoid WOT in the middle. I'd say drive gently down to the low lands, then switch when you're close.

It's rich, but there's no way you'll get a good tune without actually tuning. I mean... ahhh... if you're going to err, err on the side of rich. And you're going to err without a full tune.

I don't know where your injectors are set... remember to put them to the correct size when you change heights.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You might even check the local Texas forum in here and see if there's anyone down there who would help you tune it.

-Dan

edit:
Originally posted by afpdl
Honestly this forum is dead. If you want regional action go to txic on nasioc http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29 the houston scene is pleanty active over there, about 10 of us meet weekly and we have bigger meets every couple of months. The next big meet is a shop day Im putting on at underground graphics on the 22nd. I expect 30-40 people to show up at one time or another. Info can be found here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602632

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not sure where you are headed in TX but I just moved here from CO and there is only one place in Houston area that I know of that can tune the Utec. If you are going to ask some of the locals about tuning down here go to Nasoic because they hardly ever post on here.

·
Registered
739 Posts
MZM in Austin can tune Utec. I dont think tuning is really necessary unless you're going to be there for a while. I'd run a lower boost map for that time being.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts