ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new STi emblem. Can someone give me some instructions on taking off the stock emblem? I'm sure I can get it off but i'm not sure if I could get it off with out breaking something.

This seems like a stupid question so please don't dog me for it.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
welcome.

welcome to the club. a little belated...

first off, don't worry about getting flamed. it's pretty tame here, and real informative. no dogging.

if you can get your hands on a heat gun, that would be ideal for removing the badge. a hair dryer with a high setting (for hot) should also do the job. i would also get some "Gunk Off" (not goof off) and a fresh clean rag.

just heat gub the emblem until the glue behind it loosens, and pull it off. clean the area with the gunk off, then wash it with some water to get the chemicals off your clear coat before you stick the new one on.

should be a piece of cake. the hardest part will be removing the left over goop.

tip: keeping it hot helps remove ythe old glue.

good luck! just a question though ... why not put the sti badge on the opposite side of the trunk? i think it might balance out the back with the WRX on the other side. $0.02

dR

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.

I was thinking about putting an emblem on the back too. But I'm trying to make my car look as JDM as possible.

Also, thanks for not dogging me.:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I changed my emblem. It took me less than ten minutes to complete the whole thing. I simply used a hair dryer and a little sucktion cup. I heated it up and poped it right off.

thanks lots and my new emblem looks great!:cool:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've heard of peple using dental floss to take off emblems after heating them up instead of just pulling the emblems off. They had very good results.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tried using dental floss (waxed type) to remove the wrx emplem on the rear. Didn't work too well. They fray quickly, and I finally used a thin plastic sheet (the ones you use for the old transparency projectors for presentations), it worked better.

·
5,799 Posts
I developed my own method for removing the oem badges: Boil a kettle full of hot water. Let it cool just a couple of minutes. Pour it over the badge. The glue melts and the badge just requires pulling off with your fingertips. MUCH easier than the dental floss or fishing line method. I think it's a little safer than using a heat gun, although the principle is of course the same.

-Pace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts