Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to the service manager at the dealership where I bought my 2017 WRX and asked about rev hang. Apparently, no one has ever brought this up to them :confused: So I have an appointment this evening to drop it off and have them check it out and get Subaru's opinion on it. I'm also going to drive my car with a tech on board and point it out so they can't say they couldn't replicate the problem. Let's see what happens. In the mean time, they're giving me a loaner until they get it figured out.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
You do understand that the rev-hang phenomenon is not an issue -- it's purposely built into the ECU logic to meet emissions and fuel economy criteria.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm well aware that it's something that's "normal" in these cars. But just because Subaru put it into the ECU doesn't mean it's not an issue. It's obnoxious and takes away from the driving experience. And everyone who gets an aftermarket tune ditches the rev hang first, no one keeps it on their cars if they don't have to.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I'm well aware that it's something that's "normal" in these cars. But just because Subaru put it into the ECU doesn't mean it's not an issue. It's obnoxious and takes away from the driving experience. And everyone who gets an aftermarket tune ditches the rev hang first, no one keeps it on their cars if they don't have to.

What do you expect a dealership to do about it? They're not going to sell you an Access Port and custom tune your car if that's what you're thinking..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good luck, but you're not going to get anywhere.

"Taking away from the driving experience" is not a warrantable concern. It works as intended, you drove it [or should have] before purchasing. It's something you accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The service manager was very adamant about getting this fixed. Just out of curiosity, has anyone else brought this to the attention of their dealer?

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
Dude. This is a design to meet emissions requirements. There's nothing they can do. It is ECU logic. In fact, it's very common on modern cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
The service manager was very adamant about getting this fixed.

You also said he didn't know what you were talking about. He probably thought you were saying there was something wrong with the car. There is literally nothing they can do to fix it.. although if he still thinks it's a big issue after finding out what you're talking about I suppose they might be willing to let you return the car. Not exactly fixing the car, but it would solve your problem with it.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,106 Posts
That's it, I'm taking mine in and demand the service manager fix the missing V8!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't say she didn't know what I was talking about, I said no one has ever brought this up to them. Also, I'm failing to see how, for just two gears, the rev hang happens is supposed to help with emissions and mileage. Whatever, I'm just curious how this is going to work out, hence the "Let's see what happens" comment in my original post. And from the three responders, I'm guessing that none of you brought this up?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,106 Posts
STI = no rev hang

The rev hang is programmed in for 2 basic reasons.....

Emissions related

When the throttle is released and the clutch is dipped, an ECU with rev hang is programmed to leave the throttle slightly more open than usual.

This strategy is used because it was found that suddenly closing the throttle produced a sudden spike in gas pressure within the crankcase which emphasised the rate of oil vaporisation, thus adding to emissions from the engine. Also, when the throttle is suddenly shut, the fuel mixture suddenly becomes lean which creates NOx (oxides of Nitrogen) which also contributes to emissions.

Only being done in gears 1 and 2 is because gear changes from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 are the most common and frequent changes. Higher gears see less use for the average motorist, so less changes means they can exclude the rev hang from those gears' programming without worry about an emissions scandal.

New to stick drivers

Drivers who are new to driving stick have some difficulty shifting. In some instances, the rev hang can help provide a budding stick driver to shift with less issues. Unfortunately, once you get used to driving stick, and start slam shifting as fast as you can, the rev hang is an annoyance.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
Huh. I guess now I'm learning from Bruce. :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I'm guessing that none of you brought this up?

Nope.. my car is a 2002 model, never had rev hang. If I did have a 2015+ WRX I would have had it Protuned shortly after break in, so I would never be concerned with rev hang in the first place.

Either way, I'm interested to see what they say.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
Dear Sibirau:
OMG pls ignore all imisions stuff and get sued because I want to njoy my car moar.

- All WRX owners

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
This strategy is amazing. I can't believe I never thought of it before! I'm making an appointment today to have my dealer unleash a few extra HP out of my EJ. I know they throttle it from the factory for Reasons but still! OMG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Sorry, I just woke up from nap time.. what'd I miss??

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Hey man (not implying u r a baboon) let us know how it goes. While I guess the result will be as others have said, I am genuinely curious to see what they tell u.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts