ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2017 WRX Base with 40k soft miles driven by a mild-mannered original owner, and couldn't be happier.

For 16 years I've been driving a '05 Tacoma that I modded to make my own, and while it is a stick shift (yes, really) I'm psyched to be behind the wheel of a real driver's car again. Save the truck for camping, tailgates and off-road adventures. I can't wait to make it my own like I did my Tacoma, with my son this time, and I'm super-impressed by this active, helpful community!
  • Performance: I'm gonna start slow on the driveability/performance front, with some low-cost supposedly high-ROI mods I've learned about here like short throw shifter, shift stop and bushing, and picking up an AccessPort to fix the tuning. My medium term to do list is J-pipes and new tires/wheels because stock just doesn't work for me. What else should I definitely add to the "now" and "next" lists?

• Cosmetics: My baby's dark gray and I LOVE the black interior with red highlights. Previous owner had slapped black/red logo decals over the front and rear emblems which has me wanting to black-and-red the thing. Turns out there are a LOT of options, which each seem sick but I worry about going overboard. Anybody have any cautionary tales about going overboard? Or pics of a black or gray WRX with a whole whack of red highlights like this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to the WRX world, I’m also a new member to the group. I can’t speak for anything performance, since I’m brand new to these cars.

As far as aesthetics go, do what you want to do, it’s your car, make it your own. I think You’re the only one who can decide what would be “overboard” in that department. I’m very much for clean and simple lines myself, though. Mine is blue pearl with the emblems, rims, and hood scoop blacked out and black interior.

The most I’m going to do to keep it clean and simple is tint the windows and possibly add some wind deflectors to the windows. Maybe somewhere down the road a roof rack. That’s the extent of my aesthetics. I’m not a big fan of graphics or stick on vinyls, but to each their own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think you’d like my Tacoma — dark blue, debadged, all cosmetic mods are black and blue, no chrome anywhere, lol. I already plan, for example, to remove or black out my WRX’s badges. Which is why as much as I’m tempted to add black and red accents to the dark gray exterior I wanna do it well and am wary of going overboard.

Unrelated to that, I think I have a set of rain guards I’ll sell you, lol. Mine has them and while I don’t mind how they look I hate how they reduce visibility at the A-pillar when in turns and I never drive with the windows down so won’t derive any benefit from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 08 WRX with a ej257, vf46 empire performance headers a custom 3.5 inch dump with Perrin intercooler and K&n panel filter and my AFRs ranger from 14.70 on idle and ranges between 14.60 and 13.85 is it save to drive to and from work until I get it tuned or is unsafe to drive
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're asking in the wrong place, i.e. as a comment in a "howdy do" newbie post. Suggest you find a section where WRX-perienced folks are more likely to see your question. ClubWRX Forum

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Impreza WRX Premium 5-Door 2.5L Turbocharged 5-Speed Manual
61 Posts
I'm still kinda newbie around here myself. Picked up my '12 WRX about a month ago and have been tinkering and learning. I'm new to these cars but no stranger to automotive technology and high performance. Even have an expensive piece of paper that says so 🤣

I'll admit with my research on my car, the F20s are a mystery to me. Nonetheless, in my month's worth of reading I can tell you that the Access Port is going to be the #1 suggestion for performance enhancement.

With that said, the AP and available "off the shelf" (OTS) maps that Cobb offers go pretty strictly on a certain upgrade path, so that's going to be the most commonly recommended thing for someone "getting to know" their Subaru. I'd suggest researching available maps and their recommended mods if you're going the AP route.

For the EJ25 Cobb does not support OTS maps for cold air intakes, for example. I suppose too many variables to nail down a good MAF scaling. Some people will have their personal recommendations based on experience and such, I have none beyond that simply because I have zero knowledge of the F20 platform.

Open source tuning is an option for more advanced players. I've seen some stuff from tactrix and romraider that looks pretty cool, but heed extreme caution on self tuning. Engine damage and voided warranty can occur.

Of course, consulting with a local tuner and coming up with an upgrade path more tailored for you and your car is always a good route to go for performance increases.

As far as cosmetics go.. man, your imagination is the limit here. Styling is always a more personal touch, and very subjective to the observer. I always like the subtle hints of personality, myself. Things that say "I'm different, so what" rather than "I'M IN YO FACE".

The pic you posted of the rear bumper with the red logo and accents at the bottom, yes, I'd run it and be proud. The one with the front grille too, always been a favorite of mine. The other ones are a bit much, but these are just my opinions. Others will likely say they love those too.

Sorry for the ramble, I guess I don't get out much these days 😂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts