ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it true if you start running sythetic motor oil in you engine that you shouldn't or cant switch back to regualr motor oil?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah I was also curious about this. I had a free oil change from my local dealer and since they charge so damn much for full synthetic I decided to just get a regular oil change. I have been full mobil 1 synthetic since my second oil change and decided that I would switch just for one since it was free and the tech said it was horrible for my engine to switch and when I asked him why he couldnt explain. Good to know that if in fact it isnt bad

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
no, you can mix viscosity. a lot of people actually do this.

mobil 0w-40 is supposed to part of their flagship line, but not recommended/accepted by soa. there is a big post about oil's in the maintenence forum.

·
Registered
128 Posts
viscosity of oil is like octane. mix it and divide it by the total quarts and you come to a balance. not to say a honda motor is the same thing as a subaru motor, but an example. we built a B-series motor, and put in Mobil 1 full synthetic, of 0-30w?? not sure if it was -30 or -40. but point is, it was 0-... we couldn't get the oil circulated to the oil cooler from lack of pressure in the lines, all because the oil was so light. i run 15-50w Mobil 1 for track days. 10-30w for normal street.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Snowvert said:
better question, why would you want to switch back?
The reason I switched is because it was free. I will go back to full synthetic probably within 1000 miles, I was just using the free change to save some money and buy some time.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
CUBUFF said:
The reason I switched is because it was free. I will go back to full synthetic probably within 1000 miles, I was just using the free change to save some money and buy some time.
i'm not an expert, but once you go with synthetic you should stay with synthetic. going back to regular afterwards is not a good idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts