Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im at the 3k mark and im thinking of making the switch to synthetic. what brand, type of oil do you guys reccomend, and why?
thanks yall


-Robert
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,636 Posts
amsoil says they are better

mobil says they are better.

i say they use the same molecular formula and principals.

i use mobil one.

its 6 of one, half dozen of another imo.

dR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Able Knight said:
Which is better...Amsoil or Mobil 1?
Mobile 1 is the choice of Prodrive's Impreza WRC. Therefore it is the choice for my WRX.
 

·
Thinking Man's Engine
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
dark_rex said:
amsoil says they are better

mobil says they are better.

i say they use the same molecular formula and principals.

i use mobil one.

its 6 of one, half dozen of another imo.

dR
Mobil 1 is also much less expensive. Both use a PAO stock anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
DoubleYourX said:
What does it cost compared to regular oil and can I get it with a regular oil change at my local subaru dealer?
Almost twice as expensive. However, you can go longer between intervals. I change mine every 5000 as opposed to 3000. I know Subaru says every 7000 but I don't buy that. Yes, you can get Mobile 1 at Subaru, just tell them, but you MUST make sure that Mobile 1 is all you use from there on. You can't go back to convensional oil.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i just got my oil changed with conventional, so does that mean i can't ever use synthetic???
im only at 3000 miles right now, so is there room to work with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Penguinking said:
well, i just got my oil changed with conventional, so does that mean i can't ever use synthetic???
im only at 3000 miles right now, so is there room to work with?
switching to synthetic next change would be your best bet. breaking it in with non-synthetic is the best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
i switched from non-synthetic to Mobil 1 at my 7500 mile change. Car has been running great. Currently at just over 10k miles. Probably will change it at a 5k interval instead of 3k interval like non-synthetic.

~V
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
koyokid said:


Almost twice as expensive. However, you can go longer between intervals. I change mine every 5000 as opposed to 3000. I know Subaru says every 7000 but I don't buy that. Yes, you can get Mobile 1 at Subaru, just tell them, but you MUST make sure that Mobile 1 is all you use from there on. You can't go back to convensional oil.
Who said that? You can go back to conventional Dino juice, it's just recommended that you drain it all first.
The bottle of synthetic says that it is safe to use with all other types of oils so why would it make a difference if you were to switch back? The one thing you are not supposed to do is mix oils of different weights. 5W-30 won't sit well if there is some 10W-40 already in the crank.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top