ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 WRX stock hatchback - I drilled 4 "1' holes in the airbox BEFORE the filter to make sure to not get added debris, sounds a bit better and seems to have better throttle response. Went off a friends rec, no CEL or anything so far but if its going to mess up my A/F ratio ill just black duct tape back over the holes. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
That's a great idea. You should get a before and after dyno. I'll bet you gained a ton of power.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sin, I really am new to all this and my buddy who graduated from UTI and is very good at tuning cars and modding etc. We got to discussing AEM cold air intakes and he just said "why don't you swiss cheese the air box (which I had never heard of)"? I had him explain and it seems to make sense, its not getting hot air from the engine bay I dont think as the airbox and holes are very close to the front grill. I honestly just cant tell if your being sarcastic or if the mod actually does some good, I didn't do it for the power though, if you were serious on the power gain then great but as a general rule of thumb he said "more air in = more power out" I was going to put another 2 holes or so in it but I don't want to screw my A/F ratio and be stuck with an air box full of useless holes. He said if anything it would make the A/F ratio better and maybe gain 2-3 mpg. Is he way off base? He is mostly a VW guy, he has some scooby exp, but hes on his third Jetta and I just didn't want to do a mod that works good for a jetta but hurts my wrx.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
He's an idiot. And why would you do that to a brand new car?

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So its a useless mod and just black duct tape over the holes? Ya I know doing anything to a new car knowing how little I do is dumb I admit but I put my trust in other sources I guess I thought were reliable :/

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
You have to think of it this way: if it would gain 10whp and improve the fuel economy by 10%, why wouldn't Subaru do this from the factory?

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zax, very very good point, I always wonder on these $20 mods or so that say they increase this and that when subaru R & D puts thousands of dollars in making the car run correctly. Holes duct taped over already :/ - Ill just get an AEM cold air when taxes come in I guess

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
trueX said:
Sin, I really am new to all this and my buddy who graduated from UTI and is very good at tuning cars and modding etc.
Since he's so good at tuning cars, and recommends this "mod", what does this do to your AFRs?

Moral of the story: don't listen to this guy again...

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya I currently have no way to monitor my A/F ratio so that was my main worry but he said from the factory they are a bit overcompensated for (for lack of a better term) so I trusted him and did the mod. Its already fixed with 3 layers of black duct tape covering the holes, looks 100% like it did before the mod. Live and learn I guess. I did like the more throaty sound and maybe it was just in my head but I did like the quicker throttle response but that mod is no where near messing up a new car. Thanks for being kind to a noob guys :) <3

·
Registered
312 Posts
He graduated from UTI. Instant sign you shouldn't take his advice.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
another point of advice nobody mentioned. Ask before you do silly mods your friends tell you about

edit: i do believe he'll need a tune with the AEM intake...survey says?

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I have a lot of friends that have graduated uti and have a very good understanding of what there doing. Don't knock uti because some kid doesn't know what he's talking about. Anyone can talk like they know what there talking about.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
it definitely won't screw up your A/F, since it's before the MAF sensor.

It can't be too bad, since it won't let particles in, since it's before the filter.

It can't be good, since the filter is still a major bottleneck compared to the rest of that stream, and all the air that is let in is warmer than it could be (and it makes it so less air comes from where it's cool).

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
He's an idiot. And why would you do that to a brand new car?
This

Since he's so good at tuning cars, and recommends this "mod", what does this do to your AFRs?

Moral of the story: don't listen to this guy again...
This

He graduated from UTI. Instant sign you shouldn't take his advice.
Don't knock UTI because some idiot told this kid to do something. I've had several friends go there and they're good at what they do and knowledgeable. Schooling is all what you make of it. Just because someone goes to Harvard doesn't make them smarter than most...

I have a lot of friends that have graduated uti and have a very good understanding of what there doing. Don't knock uti because some kid doesn't know what he's talking about. Anyone can talk like they know what there talking about.
This.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What I don't understand is, what was the point of destroying it with holes. You could have just completely removed that half of the box, and taped the filter to remaining half.

At least that way the ricetastic stupidity is reversable.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Actually, the "Swiss cheese mod" is pretty common on other makes. I remember it was pretty popular back when I lurked on the BMW E30 forums. Over there, it was as common and accepted as the intake silencer delete is for us.

All that being said, this is a totally different car, and I'm not in any way condoning doing this to your WRX, as it already has a sort of cold air intake from the factory, unlike the BMW, but this particular mod is not uncommon on other makes.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
:sadwave:
It was meant to be one of those just because you're "smart" doesn't mean you're smart metaphors...I think I failed though :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts