ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got my WRX last Weekend and i was just wondering what RPM's you guys were shifting at. Feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,446 Posts
In general: The car does not matter.

To go frugally, shift as early as possible without lugging.

To go quickly, shift so that the needle is always between the RPM of max torque on the low end and the RPM of max power on the high end.

·
Registered
633 Posts
when vtech kicks in yo.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Generally speaking, of course: Normal driving, ~3000. Spirited driving, ~ 6500.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just make sure to not shift at over 9000. and don't drive 88. ever.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Completely dependent upon the situation.
Mosying around a neighborhood:2500-3000
"Normal" driving:3000-3500
Engaging hyperdrive:5000-6000.

It keeps making power to 7000, but I rarely need to do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you are always shifting at ~6500 (which is the max rpm for my 08 wrx), will it cause damage to the engine? or the engine is made to endure such high rpms?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There's a redline for a reason. If it damaged the engine, the manufacturer wouldn't let you rev it that high.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
More revs over an extremely long period of time will certainly put more "normal" wear on the engine because it's added stress...no reason to shift "always" at 6500. However, the redline is a redline for a reason because after that point, you are stressing the engine (and the rest of the driveline) much more than necessary

·
Registered
17 Posts
The way I always figure out my sweet spot is by finding where I can shift without the use of the clutch, be warned it is potentially hazardous to your drive train if you do it wrong. Be warned that I am not recommending you try this or claim any responsibility for your actions.... however in my 07 5 spd it is right at 2500 revs.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
philipho said:
if you are always shifting at ~6500 (which is the max rpm for my 08 wrx), will it cause damage to the engine? or the engine is made to endure such high rpms?
If you're always shifting at 6500, you're a toolbag

RayfieldsWRX said:
Completely dependent upon the situation.
Mosying around a neighborhood:2500-3000
"Normal" driving:3000-3500
Engaging hyperdrive:5000-6000.
I'm similar. Until my oil temp gauge is up to operating temp, 3K. After that, 3500-4K (I like to drive in the powerband). If I want to hear the EWG, 5500-6500.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
48,722 Posts
Yeah, I paid attention the other day and found that even in normal driving I rev on up to 4000 pretty regularly. The car just seems happier there.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
is there any good spot to shift for best fuel economy? ive been playing around with my 2011 wrx but not really sure.

·
48,722 Posts
I've said it before; in my opinion (and experience with WRX's) throttle position seems to have more to do with fuel economy than revs. Shift reasonably (under 4000rpms in daily driving) and try to keep your foot out of it if you're boosting your mpgs. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts