Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which size and what brand sway bars should i look into? I have a 02 wrx with eibach lowering springs and 18" wheels. Thanks
Im looking to get rid of some understeer and a little body lean

·
Registered
129 Posts
sway bars..

i was in the same boat, i looked around for some and today i bought the whitelines, both the front and rear. this is the first suspension mod i have bought, so as for how they are i will have to let you know.. i also am looking at some springs, theres another WRX here where i live and the guy has tanabe 2" all around, he says they are nice give a good ride and are stiffer in the turns, not bouncy like i would have thought for that drop on stock struts... now i just have to wait to get them:D

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Larger diameter (more rigidity) sway bars will reduce body roll more than lesser diameter bars. Also, larger bars (or even smaller) put in the right place front or rear depending on fwd/rwd/awd will alter the turning characteristics of a vehicle - understeer/oversteer. This is the characteristic that sometimes gets a person in trouble when jumping up to a larger bar.

Larger are only "good" up to a point, if they get too large, on sharp turns you will lift the opposite tire off of the ground- not what you want to do obviously.

Big Sky

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you upgrade the rear anti sway bar, you may also wish to consider upgrading the link. I was suprised to see it was may out of plastic :eek:
Kart boy and white line make replacements. IMO the kartboy one looks nicer.(caveat: I do not currently own this product). Vividracing, Teague,et. al. carry 'em.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I just got the Cusco sway bars. :) Rear strut tower bar is on order. I plan on keeping the rest of the suspension stock. Unfortunately, once installed, it'll move me up a class in autocross.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been using the Whiteline rear adjustable sway bar for the past 3 autoxes, once on 18's with Nitto 555's and twice on 17's with Kumho Ecsta V700's. I have H&R spings and factory struts. I felt that understeer was reduced very nicely and handling was safely neutral with controlled, brief 4 wheel on-power drifts rather than the rear end stepping out. Still got body roll but not as much. I have it on the middle setting with factory endlinks. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
The end link is the plastic "U" shaped piece that attaches the anti sway bar to the arm the wheel travels on. An upgraded end link would (in theory) add ridgitity to the anti sway system.
See, the anti sway system links the up/down travel of the wheels to similar positions thus reducing body roll. The closer you can keep this position of travel, the less body roll you will experience.
The best way you can link this position is with stiff components that will not flex under the huge load of a cornering vehicle.
Please feel free to add more or correct me were I am in error.

·
Registered
310 Posts
bedabi said:
I just got the Cusco sway bars. :) Rear strut tower bar is on order. I plan on keeping the rest of the suspension stock. Unfortunately, once installed, it'll move me up a class in autocross.
I know what you mean, once you start the mod then
no more D stock, so go ahead start doing a D mod
class car :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts