Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Perrin rear sway bar and end links have arrived. However, in some pre-install prep work, Perrin replied to me in an e-mail that I need to get the torque spec from the WRX service manual. Of course, I don't have one. Checked with the local dealer and the tech said the mounts are torqued to 33 ft lbs and the end links to 18 ft lbs. That sounds low to me. Can anyone confirm this or tell me the proper specs if this is wrong? Thanks.

Leo

PS: QUICK!! I want to install this tonight. :D

PPS: YES, I have NO patience!! (As one vulture said to the other, "Patience my A$$. I'm going to kill something!!"

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
You've got them reversed- 33 for the sway links and 18 for the mounts. I had a Cusco front bar come loose on me after a two driving school (that was torqued to spec- also 33 lbs) and have since upped my torque specs to 38 ft lbs. That was a year ago and none have worked loose.

Big Sky

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is there any problem to torquing all the bolts to 33 lb/ft? Yesterday, I did the sedan rear sway swap to my wagon at a friend's house and didn't have the specs available, so I torqued them reversed as I mistakenly thought from memory. When I got home and looked up the specs, I went and torqued the endlinks up to 33, but left the bushing mounts at 33 also. I'm not sure I could even loosen the bushing mounts since I don't have a breaker bar and don't want to use my torque wrench as one. Is it possible, this configuration will transfer too much load to the body instead of the other wheel, loosing some of the benefit of a bigger bar and worsening the ride?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I could cause the link to bind up a bit, doing exactly as you say.

33ft-lbs yesterday shouldn't need a breaker bar today. A ratchet should do it no problem.

BTW, all this stuff is in the Tech. Ref. thread at the top of the forum here.

C

1 - 6 of 6 Posts