Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'll be swapping to my winter wheel setup in a few weeks. I've had the car a couple of months (2017 WRX). Just bought one of those 1.5 ton racing jacks from Harbor Freight, and am wondering what the recommended option is. I also bought a pair of jack stands just in case. I've read some people have bent their pinch welds using a floor jack on the 4 corners. Another issue is getting the jack under the front center jack point for some jacks. Additionally I have no clue where that front jack point is. The picture in the owner's manual is like a pencil sketch. What methods have people used succesfully?

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I personally like the scissor jack in the car. Works great. But I also have floor jacks and made a "puck" out of hardwood for one of them which fits the pinch-wled seam in the jack-point areas. I jack up one wheel, take it off, leave that wheel jacked and move around with the other jack moving wheels until I get back to first one off then I finally remove that jack. I find it just as fast as trying to jack half the car up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Since I only have one floor jack, I should probably just buy one of those pinch weld adapters to be safe? Jack up the car, swap the wheel and then repeat on each corner? The only thing Im afraid of is fudging the pinch weld and then if I ever do need to swap a wheel on the road the scissor jack wouldnt work because of a bent pinch weld.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
The scissor jack would still work if the seam was damaged or not there; it'd just be less-than-ideal. But yes you don't want to damage it if you can prevent it. I didn't know they sold adapters; I just made my own.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My floor jack works fine with the seam welds as long as I rotate the cup at the end of the jack to line up with the notches. I'm assuming all jacks are not the same, so this may not apply. You can just stick a piece of wood (or thick rubber, cut up tire, or other medium with a little give) between the jack and the jack point.

Jack pucks are like $6 a piece, that's always a good solution if you don't want to take the $free.99 road.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I couldn't get my floor jack under the front cross member area, because it was too tall. I drove my WRX front tires onto ramps, far enough to get the floor jack under the cross member and also in order to get a good look at that area, before using it as a lift point.
Once I got the car high enough to be off our the ramps, I removed them and placed jack stands under each front punch weld spot.
This was a bit of extra work, but it did the job.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I've been using my floor jack with the pinch welds on all of my cars for a very long time, with no discernable damage. I rotate the disc as Bacon described, and I'm pretty gentle about it; don't do any quick drops or anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts