ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an "06 WRX" and I got a supposedly 16G turbo. I know I don't need anything for it to properly work other then maybe a grimspeed EBCS which I'm gonna get at IAG. Thing is I've been searching around and can't find an answer to a question. I want to know if the VF OTS map will be good enough for a 16g (I think its a small 16G) until I get my protune at IAG, which they only do it once every 4 weeks. This weekend is there tuning weekend so I'd have to wait 3-4 weeks from now. I just don't want to harm my motor in any way just from a map.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
I would not do that.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^Agreed.

You don't just need an EBCS...you need injectors, fuel pump, etc. A VF tune will not be sufficient as it's not a VF turbo.

Look to go somewhere like Agile who tunes all the time, not just every 3-4 weeks. Regardless, if you can't get it tuned at the time the parts are put on, then it's not time to put the parts on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with you guys, trust me. Lol thought I'd just make sure. I spoke to IAG today and they said an 18g map would work but only to drive it 4k and under rpms and absolutely no boost and thats driving it directly there for a tune after the install. So I'm just gonna wait to install tillthe tune weekend.

^^^Agreed.

You don't just need an EBCS...you need injectors, fuel pump, etc. A VF tune will not be sufficient as it's not a VF turbo.

Look to go somewhere like Agile who tunes all the time, not just every 3-4 weeks. Regardless, if you can't get it tuned at the time the parts are put on, then it's not time to put the parts on.
IAG said only needed part is the EBCS, but a walboro fule pump would be a great idea. My injectors are 565's, good enough to support a 16g for right now, I'll be getting bigger injectors late summer or something cause I'll be going bigger (turbo) in the next year-year & half after gears. I would go to Agile but I had a few problems with some work from there awhile back over and over again so I'd rather not. I'll just wait 4 weeks for IAG. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Why don't you just hold off on the 16g and the tune and just go with upgrading the trans now....just a thought. That 16g won't really do much over the stock turbo....just seems pointless if you plan on upgrading to a bigger turbo anyways...ya know?

You have an 06...whats wrong with the gears anyways? How big of a turbo you planning on getting...

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^Couldn't agree more with that...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because I'd rather not waiting a year - year & half with the hp & tq im sitting with now. The car does nothing for me power wise anymore so I figure I'll install this turbo and these headers I have and get a protune for a little more power and tq for the summer. Then start deciding which route I'm gonna go with next. But Since I'm getting gears in the next 6-8 months then I will most likely go with a 20G. 500$ for a tune isn't much money at all so when I have to get it done again after getting my next step of mods then I will do so. There are some interior and exterior mods I'd like to do this summer to that's why I'd like to get a little bit more done to the motor so I'm happy with it over the summer time. Oh yea and the gears in WRX's are not very strong from what I hear from everyone everywhere, so I want to get ppg's or Albins for more stability.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Have you thought of maybe building the engine along with the transmission? Getting some forged pistons and what not? How many miles are on your wrx? Have you done a compression test? This all stuff you should look into before adding the 16g and then an even bigger turbo...I only suggest this because I've been there and done that....

I only hope I can stay happy with my 18g in my 06 Wrx!

What all mods do you have done to the car in the first place?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ATM I have HKS carbon ti cat back, Catless Nvidia DP, Turbo Inlet piping, JDM STI TMIC, Nvidia Upipe, Cobb Sf intake, new TMIC piping and just flashed ots stage 2 91 octane. I do also have the jdm splitter installd for the tmic as well. I was originall thinking of getting a complete built head and block off of rsd and getting it installed in the next 2 years since it would only run around 10k for both. Which I think I might still plan on doing. Then the mods I buy now I can just bolt directly to that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts