ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone here catches themselves cruising at 4,000 when in 3rd gear or in 4th gear when on the freeway to be able to pass when necessary in high traffic conditions.

I've found that, in the event you need to brake suddenly, you are down to 3,000ish and don't need ot bother downshifting to get the power to be mobile and manueverable quickly.

I catch myself holding 4,000 even for as much as 2-3 miles in said gears...is this okay?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
4,000 rpm? That's a bit higher than I like to maintain, though I don't know that it hurts the engine that much. If I think I'm going to need a burst of speed, I'll arrange to be around 3500, which is right before my VF34 really kicks. On the stock turbo, I would go for 3000.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Autocrossing or track racing will sustain RPM in the 6k range for 1-2 minutes at a time... Very hard on the car, but as long as you have sufficient cooling and oil, I don't imagine it'd hurt anything except for the rubber on your tires and your brake pads. :)

But what you're talking about, no, that will not hurt the engine at all. Probably not a good idea to sustain 4k for miles on end, but for relatively short periods of time, you're not going to break or hurt anything.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Aracheon said:

But what you're talking about, no, that will not hurt the engine at all. Probably not a good idea to sustain 4k for miles on end, but for relatively short periods of time, you're not going to break or hurt anything.
What if you are cruising at 85-90mph, you are around or at 3500 or 4k rpm in 5th. You should be fine cruising at that speed(in terms of hte engine, not the safety of traveling that fast). I think youd only have to worry about sustaining really high revs like 5-7k.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
As long as you're not making a lot of horsepower (ie, you're not on boost) then cruising that high isn't a bad thing at all. The japanese cars with the RA gearsets cruise at much higher RPM than the USDM 5mt cars do (I have the version 4 STi tranny, 83 mph = 4k rpm). It's not bad to do on the highway, just so long as you're not dropping the hammer and making boost all the time.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Cruising at 4k won't hurt anything but your fuel mileage. Cruising at 7000k is a bit more risky. Redline is the point when the crank/rods/pistons/cam....etc...etc (moving parts) become slightly unbalanced. The engine is only balanced up to it's redline from the factory. 4k is nowhere near that point.

·
Registered
122 Posts
JDMSubaru said:
I wonder if anyone here catches themselves cruising at 4,000 when in 3rd gear or in 4th gear when on the freeway to be able to pass when necessary in high traffic conditions.

I've found that, in the event you need to brake suddenly, you are down to 3,000ish and don't need ot bother downshifting to get the power to be mobile and manueverable quickly.

I catch myself holding 4,000 even for as much as 2-3 miles in said gears...is this okay?
I catch myself doing this all the time!!! I'll shift into a lower gear because of traffic or whatever, then accelerate back up to speed and forget to shift up. I'm usually in 4th at 60mph and forget to shift up to 5th. My car is pretty stock so I don't hear the exhaust note and the engine is smooth enough at 3500-4000 rpm that I don't realize I should upshift.

·
1,999 Posts
JDMSubaru said:

Cruising(ie sustaining the rpms at constant revs) at 4000rpms is not too bad....but it is better to vary the engine speed from there on(say accelerating/decelerating). In racing, the cars are always running hard in high rpms, but the revs are also always moving and not cruising..........and race car engines certainly get more rebuilds than your normal street car.

Learn to drive, learn to shift....shifting should not be a chore

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Sustaining high RPM?

schischwein said:
Cruising(ie sustaining the rpms at constant revs) at 4000rpms is not too bad....but it is better to vary the engine speed from there on(say accelerating/decelerating). In racing, the cars are always running hard in high rpms, but the revs are also always moving and not cruising..........and race car engines certainly get more rebuilds than your normal street car.

Learn to drive, learn to shift....shifting should not be a chore
you dont understand, this is for either driving in traffic or going up a slight incline

5th gear has almost no passing power at 3000 rpm, unless you are at REALLY high speed, and if youre not at high speed, i see the ecm forcing the boost to come on very high to keep the struggling 5th gear moving

·
1,999 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Sustaining high RPM?

JDMSubaru said:
you dont understand, this is for either driving in traffic or going up a slight incline

5th gear has almost no passing power at 3000 rpm, unless you are at REALLY high speed, and if youre not at high speed, i see the ecm forcing the boost to come on very high to keep the struggling 5th gear moving
UH....that's why you downshift....

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"uh" you missed the point :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
JDMSubaru said:
"uh" you missed the point :(
I don't think he did. I think he's trying to say you don't really know how to drive. If you did, you'd be able to get your car into high RPMs quickly without putting the strain on your engine that comes with holding 4k RPMs for minutes on end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts