ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so when I first start the car in tthe AM, i am gettting a slight squeal from the engine, which I forst thought was a belt, but now i have pinpointed to around the turbo area. I have had a fully catless uppipe on the car for almost 40K miles now, and it has never leaked. Could it be starting to now? the sound goes away after driving 25 or so feet, and is sporadic, but it is driving me INSANE! any suggestions appreciated.
- DC

·
Registered
818 Posts
i would assume a leak would only get worse the more throttle you give it. i wouldnt be too concerned if it had been my car because the noise goes away fairly quicly, but how loud is it exactly? like really noticably loud? squeaking belt loud? or kinda hushed?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If it is a leak, it could be that the short amount of time it runs before the sound goes away is long enough to heat it up some so that it seals completely.

Do you have an uppipe with a flex built in? If not, the motion of the motor when the engine starts (you know how the motor shakes a good bit when you turn it over) could be causing the uppipe to break that seal loose for just a sec, causing the noise.

You also may want to be sure that you don't have any heat shields rubbing. When I replaced my downpipe, I forgot to remove the lower heat shield and it was making a short "squeak" when I started the car.

These are just my guesses... They could be completely wrong though. Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
is your A/C on when you start the car? I noticed a momentary squeak in my car when the A/C clutch engages...its not the belt, but the actual clutch/solenoid or something. I ALWAYS shut off my A/C before I start the car (i know....its REALLY old school and probably has no effect on a car with a electronically controlled A/C cluth...but its an old habbit). when I hit the A/C button i get a little "squeak". I also get it after I drive hard with the A/C on and come off the gas and the A/C re-engages. (the WRX automatically disengages the A/C when you're at more than 60% throttle...or maybe its 80%).

of course if the squeak lasts longer than a moment...could be something else....water pump? oil pump?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a similar sound that I have been suspecting to be an uppipe leak. Every single time I start my car, hot or cold, my car makes wierd noises between 3k and 5k, under any type of acceleration. Then it goes away completely and everything sounds normal. It has not gotten worse in a month or so. I've been waiting for it to get worse to check out, but it hasn't.

I think I have what someone just described, an uppipe seal that breaks momentarily after I start the engine and then seals after heating up.

As long as it seals completely and quickly, is this a big deal? I'm seeing full boost, and it hasn't gotten any worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts