Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best way to go for suspension in general is to decide what it is you are looking for out of the suspension.( better ride, handling on the road-track-autocross or a mixture, or maybe 1.0 lateral G and 70mph through a slalom ) this is one way to start. The other way is to drive the car in many different envirornments ( autocross,trackday,TSD rally,Rallycross etc..) and note what you like and don't like about the handling and then work on correcting the shortcomings and accentuating the positives. Some other tips I would suggest is don't go too low. Use a proven package. Try to stay with the same manufacturer if possible. After looking at alot of articles in magazines and on the web and in talking with several tuners it seems as though tires then swaybars then ALK then springs/dampers seems to be the smart and careful approach. good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mike has some good suggestions. Take his advice and decide what you will be doing with the car and go from their.

FWIW, I had a chance to drive a sedan with the STi spring and strut combo as well as the smaller front sway bar and aluminum control arms(all offered by SOA) for a few days. I don't have much experience with coil overs and such, but have driven a few Imprezas with differnt spring/strut set-ups, and I have to say that STi's kit is matched to the car in an almost unbelievable way. It feels absolutely perfect. Everything pertaing to the suspension, from turn-in to stability, just feels better and more solid. And the ride is barely noticeable. For how much the suspension improves the car, you would expect the ride to feel alot worse, but it's not.

For the average guy that wants a fabulous "sport" suspension for everyday driving, this kit fits the bill in every way. Although it is a tad on the expensive side. Well worth it though if you have the cash.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MikeWRX: I plan to use Speedline Corse GT1 Lite wheels in 18" with Potenza S03? (Any suggestions?). Since I live in a place with some potholes, and no perfect conditions as most of you do, I need to improve ride and handling.

I was thinking about a set of KYB AGX and a set of H&R, STi, or Cobb Tunning springs. Just to give you an idea. Would like the car to look like Scobysports blue WRX. Though I don't know if with that setting the car will rub (hope not). Maybe they lower the car about 1 inch? I think they have Leda coilovers..but that's just way too much for me now. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Julio 18's are good looking and have good response due to the lower profile tires needed to keep diameter close but I cannot reccomend them from experience as all the cars I've driven with 18's were too rough riding and wouldn't make it for long on the roads around here with potholes and bumps and construction. If the roads you drive are better ( they are I'm sure but how much I can't say ) and you can afford lightweight 18's and you are willing to sacrifice some ride quality ( probably a lot of ride quality with springs and dampers ) then go for it. As for the KYB/AGX struts I don't have enough knowledge of them to comment and only spoke with 1 person who uses them. For springs try and stay close in rate to the STI or stock springs especially since you only are going for 1" lower. I recently got to compare the STI suspension ( all of it ) to the stock set up and it only seems to lower the car approx (1/4"-5/8") as measured with high tech cigarette packs stacked on each other under the front facia. Just remember to try not to go Too low or Too stiff from the stock or STI suspension when switching springs and dampers to keep a relatively comfortable car that has an awesome suspension. This is even more important if going with 18s. Also watch the weight of the wheels as that can be an issue in rotating mass and unsprung weight both of which hurt performance and ride

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mike..as I told you Speedline Corse GT1 Lites are about 18pounds (light for an 18inch wheel.) Id like to lower the car for looks, though would like to somehow improve ride..I know this sounds a bit contradictory, but after reading your post...Would you recommend stock springs and lower the car with just the KYBs (or this is impossible to do this way?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only ways to lower a car with stock springs(without cutting or heating them both not recommended ) is to move the spring perch lower on the strut body. This is how coil overs are done with a threaded body and the spring perch is a nut that is threaded up or down to raise or lower the cars ride height. Some struts have a multi position spring perch ( like 2 positions usually ) that allow either a stock ride height in one position or a lower ride height in the other position ( I saw this on a Tokico strut for a Miata ) One issue with this set up is that it reduces the amount of suspension travel in compression. The only other way I know of is with dropped spindles and I don't believe that anyone is making them for the WRX. Like I said I only know of one person using KYB/AGX struts and I don't know if they are offered with multi position spring perches. You can have the perch cut off and re welded to the strut body but it may damage the strut and would void any warrenty KYB might offer. Also remember that even with the stock suspension and the same weight wheels but 18" you will have to run a lower profile tire and a high performance tire at that. that will have a shorter and stiffer sidewall so ride comfort will suffer. There is no way around it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the best things about the stock suspension is the amount of wheel travel it affords - some 8" - which is what helps it handle so well yet remain so composed.

I think messing with the suspension that much is missing the whole point if this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Julio, just to give you an idea, here is the local dealership's car with 18" OZ/Prodrives and the STi kit. Bad pictures, but it gives you an idea of how the car looks. The STi is said to drop 20mm(about 3/4") and probably came pretty close to that after a day or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts