Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys......i have about 750 $ to spend on suspension upgrades....any suggestions what to do?? or should i keep saving? LOL.......
to help with the advice......i dont auto or rally cross......perhaps in the future, but never have and i am a bit..errrr chicken?
i do however REALLY enjoy the twisty country roads around here at high speed, and of course aggressive in city driving if this helps......thanks to all you gurus out there!!
DML

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just keep saving. You've got another $1000 to go.

Well, maybe not $1000, but not that much less. Just my konis were $700. Add springs, swaybars (?) downlinks, bushings....... now the $$$$ start to add up.

misterx

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
for $750, i'd get some springs, new rear swaybar, endlinks and a rear strut tower brace. also, if you haven't already, replace your tires and if you can, your wheels. Low-profile tires on bigger wheels will help your handling immensely.

so save up around $3000 and go ape :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the full sti setup and I'm really really impressed with it. It virtually eliminated the understeer the car had and now the car is on the nuetral, oversteer side of the spectrum when pushed to the limits. It maintains the stock ride quality completely. And here are the two big things I can autox my car and rally cross it without having to worry about changing a thing. It was designed to work hand in hand with this chassis and does and incredible job of it. This weekend i went to upstate ny to visit family. 4th gear wfo around paved mtn roads left footing it the whole way. Than I turn down a gravel road that had more loose gravel on it than any road I've ever been on. The paint on my side skirts has a few nicks but the drifts on that road were incredible. I also have 17's with sticky rubber and a kamanari carbon wing so I don't know how much if at all those two things helped on paved roads with the speeds I was seeing. ??;)

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
DarkMoonLord said:
hi guys......i have about 750 $ to spend on suspension upgrades....any suggestions what to do?? or should i keep saving? LOL.......
to help with the advice......i dont auto or rally cross......perhaps in the future, but never have and i am a bit..errrr chicken?
i do however REALLY enjoy the twisty country roads around here at high speed, and of course aggressive in city driving if this helps......thanks to all you gurus out there!!
DML
Tires w/o a doubt. That has to be the highest priority. You'll be amazed at the difference a good tire makes. Rims- leave them alone for now- they are a strong cast aluminum wheel that weigh a respectable 16 lbs.

Lets assume you have already purchased good tires and still have the $750.
$45 for a performance alignment- up the camber in front to -1.0- 1.5 (max w/ oe camber bolt), camber in rear is not adjustable (should be in the -1.3 range), toe I'd set at 0 front/rear for your application- canyon carving.

If you have a wagon $50 for a used WRX sedan rear sway bar (hint sell your used 17mm sway bar to a RS owner-13mm). If you have the sedan you'll have to spend $100-150 on a rear sway bar- get adjustable (start at the lowest setting- get used to it- if you need more up it a notch- go slowly w/ your adjustments). Springs- our WRX's are undersprung (168 f/ 120 r) $300 for the STi "sport" springs- 200 lbs f/ 180 r, about a 20mm drop (maybe a little more). These springs have a good reputation for working w/ the oe dampers.

That leaves ~ $350 if you have the wagon and ~ $250 sedan. If you have the wagon- I'd consider a rear strut bar ~ $100-150- only on the wagon. Now that leaves about $250 either way. Brakes- what do brakes have to do with suspension? - they slow you down in those twisties;) . Good brake pads ~ $75- 125 for the front, $100 for ss lines, $15 for some good DOT fluid.

That should leave about $50 for the most important tip I can give you- take mommy out for supper with it (I don't need to tell you why:) ).

Big Sky

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Big Sky!!!....that is exactly what i am looking for.....just one more thing......i live in oregon, the land of the liquid sunshine(especially in winter).....which tires are good for the rain???? Ive heard great things about the Falken Azenis, but i also heard theyre not too good in the rain due to their tread pattern.....any info will hel-p....thanks again!!
DML

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
If you want the ultimate hi-po wet tire (IMHO) look at the Toyo T1S, this is simply an amazing tire in the wet. It is also a great tire in the dry (not quite as sticky as the Azeni or KD- but better in the wet). It has a good stiff sidewall and is probably the lightest hi-po tire on the market- as much as 2-3 lbs lighter /tire. This is not a winter tire however, if you have winter to contend with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sway bars for Wagon

I'd like a little more info on swaybar upgrades for a wagon.

I understand the stock rear bar is 17mm on the wagon, 19 on the sedan, and that the 20-24 adjustable is a good upgrade on the sedan.

I was planning on getting the whiteline 20-24 for my wagon as a first upgrade. Will that be too stiff relative to the front? What are the stock front sizes (for wagon and sedan).

Buying a sedan owners stock bar sounds good if cheap, especially if I can unload the stock wagon bar to the owner of a 2.5 or something else...

Can the wagon also benefit from the stock sedan front bar orr are they the same size? Thanks...

Mike
my 03 wagon hit 500 miles today...

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Re: Sway bars for Wagon

mydogbarney said:
I'd like a little more info on swaybar upgrades for a wagon.

I understand the stock rear bar is 17mm on the wagon, 19 on the sedan, and that the 20-24 adjustable is a good upgrade on the sedan.

I was planning on getting the whiteline 20-24 for my wagon as a first upgrade. Will that be too stiff relative to the front? What are the stock front sizes (for wagon and sedan).

Buying a sedan owners stock bar sounds good if cheap, especially if I can unload the stock wagon bar to the owner of a 2.5 or something else...

Can the wagon also benefit from the stock sedan front bar orr are they the same size? Thanks...

Mike
my 03 wagon hit 500 miles today...
sedan rear bar = 20mm, wagon = 17mm, gc8 = 13mm

front bars wagon and sedan = 20mm

I'd definitely try a sedan oe bar for ~ $40-50 first- if it doesn't work sell it again. You should be able to sell your rear bar to a gc8 owner to boot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.