ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, was shooting the **** with my buddy and I'm getting a check for damages to my car so I figured I would put it towards some much needed suspension. I was thinking shocks and springs, but wasnt sure what drop I want(1.5 all around or 2 in front and 1.5 rear). Deff looking at a bushing kit to replace the old beat ones, including group n mounts. What else should I be looking for or am I off to a pretty good start? Thanks-Burdo

Sent from my EVO

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
What do you already have done? I'd personally start with sway bars and end links, wheels and tires, and a good alignment. THEN move on to struts and springs.

Quality springs will not be centered around the drop amount. Since you're asking about bushings and mounts, it sounds like you're actually worried about handling characteristics, so I would say ignore the drop goal, and go with the set up that will work best for your needs. Tokico D-Specs and RCE or Epic Engineering springs are favored setups lately for solid street use. Coupled with Group N top mounts and a quality alignment, you'll be golden.

Beyond that there are a LOT of bushings you can switch out to help tighten up the car. The ALK is a very popular one as it increases positive caster which is very beneficial on these cars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anub1s I do already have wheels/tires and a good alignment. That's about it suspension wise. Thanks for the info sir. I'm going to do more research today since I'm stuck at home with a broken ankle. Lol

Sent from my EVO

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
What do you already have done? I'd personally start with sway bars and end links, wheels and tires, and a good alignment. THEN move on to struts and springs.

Quality springs will not be centered around the drop amount. Since you're asking about bushings and mounts, it sounds like you're actually worried about handling characteristics, so I would say ignore the drop goal, and go with the set up that will work best for your needs. Tokico D-Specs and RCE or Epic Engineering springs are favored setups lately for solid street use. Coupled with Group N top mounts and a quality alignment, you'll be golden.

Beyond that there are a LOT of bushings you can switch out to help tighten up the car. The ALK is a very popular one as it increases positive caster which is very beneficial on these cars.
+1 to all this!

I would upgrade your tires, get a good alignment, and then sways + endlinks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Narrowed it down to either kyb gr2 or tokico HP blues for shocks. Undecided on springs. Energy suspension master bushing set, whiteline roll center/bump steer kit, whiteline positive shift kit, group n mounts and possibly a rear swaybar and endlinks. Hope it will be a great setup...

Sent from my EVO

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Narrowed it down to either kyb gr2 or tokico HP blues for shocks. Undecided on springs. Energy suspension master bushing set, whiteline roll center/bump steer kit, whiteline positive shift kit, group n mounts and possibly a rear swaybar and endlinks. Hope it will be a great setup...

The GR2s are just a stock replacement, I think the blues are as well. If you want a set of struts that are really going to improve handling I would get the D-Specs.

As far as bushings, I recently had the TiC Old Bush New Bush refresh kit installed and it made a world of difference: Old Bush New Bush Refresh

If you're lowering the car and you want the rear to track flat I also recommend MSI Tubular Rear Trailing Arms with corrected geometry(I had these installed at the same time as the bushings): MSI Impreza bushing style trailing arm - 1 inch correction

I wouldn't just get a rear swaybar either, if it's much stiffer than stock it will cause the car to oversteer and actually handle worse. It's good to do front and rear swaybars at the same time.. and if you're doing swaybars endlinks are a must (Kartboy are the best).

·
Registered
29 Posts
The GR-2 is not exactly a stock replacement. I believe they are damped about 20% stiffer than stock. They work well with a mild spring(slightly stiffer than stock) with a very modest drop. They are also great with stock springs if you want to go that way too. A 2 inch drop is quite a bit though. I am not sure if they would like to be that low.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I'm not saying they aren't better than stock, I'm just saying they are considered stock replacements, even KYB says so. I have AGX struts and I'm still planning to upgrade to D-Specs when I have the cash. If you're seriously looking to upgrade at least go with AGX.

Straight from KYB themselves: "GR-2 -- The best choice to restore OE performance and normal driving conditions" KYB Americas Corporation Shocks & Struts | Products | GR-2©

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
if your going to combine with a lowering spring you need to purchase the agx at least. anything over 15mm is going to ruin the gr2 quickly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about raceland coil overs? Under 600 for the set and adjustable ride hight. I don't track but want better dampening than stock without spending 1500 bucks.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about raceland coil overs? Under 600 for the set and adjustable ride hight. I don't track but want better dampening than stock without spending 1500 bucks.

You're not going to get coilovers that are better than stock for less than $1,200.. and honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on a set of coilovers under $1,800. Cheap coilovers suck majorly, and often break (sometimes catastrophically).

Get the D-Specs w/RCE springs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another week or so and I'm actually purchasing a set. I know a bunch of people, vw, BMW, subaru, that have been running them without any issues at all as long as they stay oiled up. The major reason they are so cheap is because they don't have vendors, so there is nobody extra trying to make a profit. The suspension is bought directly from the company

Sent from my EVO

·
Registered
157 Posts
burdo please do not buy those coilovers for the sake of your subaru. what wheels do you have? Without knowning what car you drive(prob be a help to mention), I would highly reccomend the following:

Stickier tires
Either d specs or agx's with a set of sti take off springs and group n strut mounts

Rear sway bar and quality endlinks front and rear(then see how it handles with the rsb and match a front accordingly)

The above mentioned TiC bushing kit

this all would be good if doing on a small budget. of course u can always drop some more cash and get the msi 1" correction trailing arms, msi lat links, alk, and a whole lot of bracing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts