Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into suspensions for the sti and was wondering what some of you are using or would recommend. I've been looking at the JIC's but have heard they are a pain to dial in. My sti is daily driven, and I will be taking it to the track during the summer. I am not too concerned about ride quality for daily driving.

I want to start with some coilovers (preferebly) or springs and go from there. I'd like to lower the car a little first (i hate wheel gap) before i start doing sway bars and the like.

Thanks...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ludacraig said:
I am looking into suspensions for the sti and was wondering what some of you are using or would recommend. I've been looking at the JIC's but have heard they are a pain to dial in. My sti is daily driven, and I will be taking it to the track during the summer. I am not too concerned about ride quality for daily driving.

I want to start with some coilovers (preferebly) or springs and go from there. I'd like to lower the car a little first (i hate wheel gap) before i start doing sway bars and the like.

Thanks...
Tein Flex and RA are pretty good, but I personally prefer JIC's. Flex' advantage is the EDFC, which does not get any better in terms of convinience of adjusting damping rates. However, they are more street oriented setup than track. RA is more track oriented without too much street compromise as well as JIC FLTA-2 and 2R.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Re: Re: suspension suggestions

Tein Flex and RA are pretty good, but I personally prefer JIC's. Flex' advantage is the EDFC, which does not get any better in terms of convinience of adjusting damping rates. However, they are more street oriented setup than track. RA is more track oriented without too much street compromise as well as JIC FLTA-2 and 2R.
Yes. JIC is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
For a daily driver, The flex's are the only way to go. You might get more on a track out of JIC's, but you cant compete with the ride quality and convience of the EDFC for the street. I use them and am very impressed with them. I would recomend them to anyone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
do coilover setups start to squeek over time? i remember two of my buddies that had skunk2 in their car (civic and prelude) started to squeek really bad after 1 year or so.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
after a few months of daily driving you will hate the suspension... it is nice but too stiff and very clunky sounding in the rear. I get tired of flexs' with EDFC. Probably the best coilover setup i drove was the type wagon, cheap and good... cant beat it.

-mike

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
g0tb00st said:
do coilover setups start to squeek over time? i remember two of my buddies that had skunk2 in their car (civic and prelude) started to squeek really bad after 1 year or so.
the ones i have been in make a hissing sound and clunking sounds... it gets annoying after a while...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info...keep it coming.

So whats the deal with the jic's. are they a pain to dial in or what? i hear a lot of rave reviews about them, but some of my friends said they are tough to get the way you want them. maybe my friends suck :p are they relatively easy to setup or what?

Also, I heard the Teins had a rust problem, maybe it was a particular model, not sure. I live in pittsburgh (winter+salt=rust), so they have to hold up in the winters.

MJU1983 - i doubt i will get sick of it. i have had coilover setups on my last 3 cars (including my 02 wrx) and never got sick of them. i just wanted to do some research on what people are running on their sti's and how they like the setup. thanks for looking out tho.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
My tein flex's are coated with teflon so they dont rust. I dont believe the jic's are teflon coated (not sure)

·
Registered
38 Posts
i believe the JIC's are teflon coated
they should be for that price :tongue:

the TEINS that had the rust problem because they werent teflon-coated were the TEIN SS...which i have on my 00' Prelude...they have not begun to rust and they have been on for a year now..you just have to know how to take care of them

every tire rotation(~4000 miles for me) i would clean the coilovers thuroughly and put ant-seize compound on the threads and..and also wipe down the body of the coilover
i plan on doing this with the Flex when i get them for the STi...first things first...gotta get the car :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
JIC or TEIN, none will rust unless you don't take care of them; same goes for squeeking. Taking care of coilovers is easy: don't have salt build-up stay on them over 4 weeks during winter, and use WD-40 once a year. That's pretty much it.

One thing to note: TEIN EDFC (which is also available for the Super Street Damper that also has same 280 lbs spring rates all around like the Flex) is illegal in SCCA Street Prepared class, it will put you into Street Modified automatically; if that is at all a concern for you.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I really like my JIC's. I would go for those are TEIN RA's they are pretty similar coilovers. I just went for the JIC's because I got them for $1300 new. Their normal price is about $1700 shipped but thats is with whatever springs you want and custom valved to your specs depending on what you want to do with them. They can also be serviced in the US wich is a big plus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys...

How about the Leda's? Anyone running them?

[email protected] - ill be running my car at a local track http://www.beaverun.com
Last year they had a full out rally course thru the woods, not sure if it will continue this year, but i heard it was pretty sweet. I will most likely be running it on tarmac most of the summer though. I am not sure of their restrictions as of yet, but i think you just pay for track time and thats that.

afpdl - i got a similar price on the jic's. im not a suspension wiz, so i would be putting my cars handling in someone elses hands based on my requirements. which i dont like...but what can you do. im waiting until march to buy the coilovers and want to do as much research on suspensions as possible. i hate not knowing stuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ludacraig said:
Thanks guys...

How about the Leda's? Anyone running them?

[email protected] - ill be running my car at a local track http://www.beaverun.com
Last year they had a full out rally course thru the woods, not sure if it will continue this year, but i heard it was pretty sweet. I will most likely be running it on tarmac most of the summer though. I am not sure of their restrictions as of yet, but i think you just pay for track time and thats that.

afpdl - i got a similar price on the jic's. im not a suspension wiz, so i would be putting my cars handling in someone elses hands based on my requirements. which i dont like...but what can you do. im waiting until march to buy the coilovers and want to do as much research on suspensions as possible. i hate not knowing stuff.
I don't have experience with the Leda's.

I know Beaverun, but have not had the chance to run at it yet. We will be at VIR (full course) beginning of March if you would like to join us.

Then we will head ot Summit Point Shenandoah circuit (new and virgin circuit, going to be exciting ;)), then back to VIR again sometime July I think.

We have published few reports on STi handling. And now that we completed our testing, we will be creating multi-stage chassis packages within January. I think the packages will be what you are looking for :)

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
You might try posting this in the Suspension and Handling forum. There are a lot of options that might be more appropriate for you then a full set of coilovers. I can't believe that nobody has mentioned any of the STi upgrade options for your STi model. :rolleyes:

Making an STi handle is no different than any other WRX. THe stock parts are just different. Anybody with an ALK and an SPT/STi RA suspension kit on a standard WRX is already ahead of the stock STi parts.

C

1 - 19 of 19 Posts