ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey looking into suspension mods for my 2011 wrx hatchback, ive heard a lot of people say good things about kartboy endlinks and whiteline sway bars. i was planning on going with these just not sure of what size sway bars to go with. Any suggestions? Or other brand that may be better? Also what brand makes good coilovers, and what spring rate should i go with? thanks

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?
+1. Suspension should be designed for the intended purpose. Daily driver? Tracking it? Comfort a priority? Prefer more/less understeer/oversteer? Stance/aesthetics?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm mainly wanting to set it up for handling, its gonna be a daily driver. but i want improved handling and a little for stance. i was planning on lowering it

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Sounds like the same as my goal when i started. I LOVE my current setup, but I also know I'll need better struts to make this setup last. Link to mods in signature.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the same as my goal when i started. I LOVE my current setup, but I also know I'll need better struts to make this setup last. Link to mods in signature.
so how does your car handle compared to stock? is it still good for a dd? also how many inches did you lower yours?

·
8,921 Posts
Coils are not good for a DD.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coils are not good for a DD.
are you referring to it having a rough ride. im not as worried about comfort i want handling. i have an 88 mustangs thats very rough to drive and i was fine with it for a dd till i got my wrx. my end goal is between 350-400 hp/tq and good handling

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Sure coils are good for handling. But there are other options such as Koni inserts and RCE Springs. Will drop it about an inch or so, yet still maintain some comfort to go with handling. But that's just one example. Plus, to do things right and have quality parts, struts/spring upgrade will be cheaper than finding a legit set of coilovers (not the Megan Racing BS you can find on ebay for cheap).

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure coils are good for handling. But there are other options such as Koni inserts and RCE Springs. Will drop it about an inch or so, yet still maintain some comfort to go with handling. But that's just one example. Plus, to do things right and have quality parts, struts/spring upgrade will be cheaper than finding a legit set of coilovers (not the Megan Racing BS you can find on ebay for cheap).
so ultimately would it be better to go with springs/struts or coilovers. i figure with coilovers i can lower it and get improved handling. also what brand is good for coilovers? and i know most have different spring rates which im not familiar as to which i would need

·
8,921 Posts
are you referring to it having a rough ride. im not as worried about comfort i want handling. i have an 88 mustangs thats very rough to drive and i was fine with it for a dd till i got my wrx. my end goal is between 350-400 hp/tq and good handling
Lofty goals. I love my WRX but driving it is a bit of a pain.

·
8,921 Posts
so ultimately would it be better to go with springs/struts or coilovers. i figure with coilovers i can lower it and get improved handling. also what brand is good for coilovers? and i know most have different spring rates which im not familiar as to which i would need
Cost wise it's better to go with spring/struts. A set of decent coilovers are going to cost you at least $2k. Ohlins...get those.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cost wise it's better to go with spring/struts. A set of decent coilovers are going to cost you at least $2k. Ohlins...get those.
cant find that brand, got a link for them. beyond price does a good set of spring/struts have any advantages over coilovers as far as handling goes. i would rather spend the money and do it right than have to buy twice.

·
8,921 Posts
cant find that brand, got a link for them. beyond price does a good set of spring/struts have any advantages over coilovers as far as handling goes. i would rather spend the money and do it right than have to buy twice.
I woudn't recommend coils for a street car. Strut/spring combos aren't going to perform as well as coils. But if you really want to get into handling you're gonna need to be ready to drop the big cheese. IF you decide to go with coils I would also suggest you get corner balanced and a proper alignment. Depending on how aggressive you go, you're gonna go through tires pretty quickly so be prepared for that as well. It's gonna be pricey for a good setup but well worth it. But if you're not taking it to the track I don't think you can justify the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I woudn't recommend coils for a street car. Strut/spring combos aren't going to perform as well as coils. But if you really want to get into handling you're gonna need to be ready to drop the big cheese. IF you decide to go with coils I would also suggest you get corner balanced and a proper alignment. Depending on how aggressive you go, you're gonna go through tires pretty quickly so be prepared for that as well. It's gonna be pricey for a good setup but well worth it. But if you're not taking it to the track I don't think you can justify the cost.
im not sure of any tracks that i could take it to in my area so i may not ever take it. what would a good spring/strut combo be then? and how low could i get it with that?. also what size sway bars should i look into for the front and rear

·
8,921 Posts
im not sure of any tracks that i could take it to in my area so i may not ever take it. what would a good spring/strut combo be then? and how low could i get it with that?. also what size sway bars should i look into for the front and rear
From there it's all personal preference. I don't know much about the 08+ models so I would find someone that has them installed and go for a ride.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts