Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know almost nothing about suspension, but I do know that I want less body roll. What are the best steps to take on a limited budget (<$600)? I plan on spending more than this, but this is were I need to start. I was considering Cusco sways front and back for a start, but do I need end links, bushings, and mounts also?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although it will be a bit more expensive than sway bars, the best way to eliminate body roll is to drop the car and put "tighter" struts on.

If you can drop the car 2" or so, then get a set of struts with a more agressive rebound rate, you should be all set.

If you really need to stay under $600, I would do springs and the sway bars, since a good set of adjustable struts will put you out a good amount of green. You might as well put petter bushings and such in while you have the sway bars off.

By the way, watch how big you go on the sway bars: you will get some interesting handling characteristics that you might not necessarily want, and it might be more difficult to drive on the street.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what do you think about 21mm front/22mm adj rear with Eibach Pro springs?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Larger diameter sways will definitely help reduce body roll. Uprated springs will help also. Lowering w/o swapping out your oe struts will result in shortened life for your struts, the lower the drop the shorter the life. Try to to keep your drop to a minimum ~1" and keep spring rates reasonable ~ 200 lbs and your oe struts will perform reasonably.

Be cautious as some springs drop more than advertised. Take a look at the STi "pink" springs ~200lbs front/ 180 rear w/ a ~1" drop. These have gotten rave reviews w/ oe struts. I haven't seen any published rates for the Eibach's, but am guessing theya re in the 180ish range. Their advertised drop is 1.5", ensure from others who have installed these that they are not lower than this.

The other option is upgrade your sways and wait for a matched set of strut/springs or coilovers if adjustability is an issue.

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
If you're on a budget, take a look at the Whiteline anti-sway bar drop solid drop links. They made a huge difference in my car's handling. About $100.

Of course I've done a lot of other stuff to it, too.

russ

·
Registered
58 Posts
Solid end links

russ:
Would you be able to tell if the solid end links in the front made much of a difference? I will add rear end links, a larger rear sway bar, and a rear strut brace to my wagon. I was told by a vendor that the front strut brace wouldn't make much difference (which I believe) and that changing to solid front end links wouldn't make much difference either. Not sure about the latter. I think actuating the sway bar effect more quickly would make for better turn in. Can you comment on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I added droplinks front and rear. Both made a difference. I never was much of a believer in tower braces, but the rear brace in my wagon helps a lot as there is no support in the rear of the wagon as there is in the sedan. I don't have the front braced. My handling is really good, at least in my opinion, and keeping the stock 16 in wheels helps ride comfort in light of the harsher lowering springs.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
"Would you be able to tell if the solid end links in the front made much of a difference? "

With the wagon it's probably a worthwhile upgrade, they use a very similar setup as the rear- plastic w/ rubber bushings. The link on the sedan (front0 is already a solid link w/ pillow ball ends.

Big Sky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts