ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I recently purchased an 04 wrx wagon. I want to upgrade the suspension with sway bars and either springs or a coil over setup.

I first want to make sure that I do this right, the first time so input on brands, etc. is welcome.

Equally as important is that I don't ruin this car for snow driving. I don't want to lower the car so much, making it useless in snow. I will have a truck to drive on BIG snow days but there will be times when I'm in Reno and need to drive home to Truckee during a storm, etc.

So, will adding sway bars and doing the suspension leave me totally dissapointed in the snow? My neighbor races porsches and he feels I may be making a mistake by stiffening up the car, and i will regret this during the winter.

I'm sure someoen out there has done similar stuff to their car and lives in the snow?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I don't live "in the snow", but NJ does get snow. I've had to drive through 18" of freshly fallen(and still falling snow) from Newark to South Amboy and while I was nervous, I didn't get stuck - I saw quite a few SUV's that did get stuck. I really think people get stuck for being morons though. Driving in bad snow is about inertia - try to stay in someone elses tire tracks, but if you must go your own way, be sure you have enough inertia to push through, but not so much that you overshoot the mark. I guess part of it is luck too.

With my 2002, the stock suspension sat a bit higher, and the car also had quite a bit of body roll. The ground clearance was obviously an advantage in snow, and the body roll is more of a friendly reminder that you are subjecting the car to lateral G's. With my Tein SS-P coilovers, and Rear Cusco Bar/Helix Spherical Ball Mount Endlinks/Moog Camber Bolts... the car sits a bit lower, and is more stiff in the rear than in the front, there is very little body roll, hell virtually none as compared to stock. I run very mild camber settings of -1.5 in the front and -1 in the rear.

Now I'm no expert but I believe that in the process of "body roll" some lateral g's are used as compared to a stiffer setup where the energy/inertia is more directly transferred. Maybe someone with a more qualified background can elaborate on this?

In any case, just use your head in the snow and you should be fine. Most coilovers do have a certain range of adjustment available as regards to ride height.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't live in a high snow area either, but we get your share here. I run HKS Hipermax coilovers, and Whiteline bars. The coilover are on the soft spring side, so no problems. The swaybar are adj on the front and rear, I set both to softest setting and go. I also have winter tires on my stock rims, this would be a very go place to start.
If want to stiffen up car but don't want a drop, look into the wagon pinks.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
if your not looking for an out and out competition setup, it's easy to have a better handling Impreza w/o sacraficing it's ability in the snow.

First as was mentioned- dedicate a set of rims to winter tires, dedicate another set to "summer" tires- this first step is crucial if you want a good handling car in either environ

Keep the ride height close to stock, keep spring rates reasonable- both met by the WRX pink springs- nice upgrade over stock- nothing you'll regret in the winter.

Keep your sway bars reasonable a 2mm adj front w/ a 22mm adj rear will be more than adequate- you'll see real improvement in the "summer", soften them up in the winter and they will be fine.

Keep your alignment reasonable- max the front neg camber out w/ the oe eccentric bolt, leave the rear as is- set toe to 0 f/r- done. You can run this yearound w/ no problems.

It's all about compromise- except the tires- don't compromise w/ tires- get the best grip for "winter", get the best grip for "summer".

Easy-Schmeasy :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts