ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ej22 with je pistons and hbeam rods, sti crank, blouch 18g, 565 deaschwerk injectors, stock wrx heads, walbro 255 fuel pump.

i really want to supercharge my ej22 but im not sure if i can find a supercharger to fit. or if i could just make the 2.5 work. has anyone supercharged their subaru and if so how did it work out?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm not very knowledgable on performance modifications for cars, but I know that generally a supercharger is used on a big sized engine (like a V8 or around that) and the Turbo's are mainly for 4-6 cylinder vehicles.

Why is this? please explain just for my own knowledge.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Don't you already have a turbo?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just to clarify, I DO NOT want to supercharge my car, I'm just wondering why one is used in one instance, and is worthless in another. I know supercharges run off the crank, and turbo's run off air that it takes in. But is the turbo actually in the exhaust line, and the exhaust spins the turbo, or does the air coming in the IC's spin in? Because I saw a pic of a porsche with 2 turbo's about a 2 inches before the exhausts exited out the rear bumper, and now that I think about it, Isn't the down-pipe connected to the turbo?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
...supercharges run off the crank, and turbo's run off air that it takes in. ...?
Turbo is driven by exhaust, charger by crank... Maybeee someone could think the engine pulling air in drives the turbo wheel and thereby pushes the exhaust gas out. That might work... :screwy:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Don't you already have a turbo?
He said right there Blouch 18g....
That's what I have and it works well, so NO, I don't see why he'd want a supercharger, maybe to drive the turbo harder? (see above...)

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I'm not very knowledgable on performance modifications for cars, but I know that generally a supercharger is used on a big sized engine (like a V8 or around that) and the Turbo's are mainly for 4-6 cylinder vehicles.

Why is this? please explain just for my own knowledge.
Why is what? The OG Colbalt SS was supercharged. So was the Saturn Ion. It has nothing to really do with the size of the engine. But Superchargers require power to make power through parasitic drag.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Ej22 with je pistons and hbeam rods, sti crank, blouch 18g, 565 deaschwerk injectors, stock wrx heads, walbro 255 fuel pump.

i really want to supercharge my ej22 but im not sure if i can find a supercharger to fit. or if i could just make the 2.5 work. has anyone supercharged their subaru and if so how did it work out?
What exactly do you want to do? You need to clarify....

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Why is what? The OG Colbalt SS was supercharged. So was the Saturn Ion. It has nothing to really do with the size of the engine. But Superchargers require power to make power through parasitic drag.
+1

Subaru themselves made a supercharged 658CC kei car in Japan called the Vivio RX-R. Sounds like a weed whacker doing the nasty with a power drill:

Looks like a fun little car, actually.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
+1
Heck, the mini cooper S was blown at one point too, and that's what, a 1.8 liter?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Turbochargers working in conjunction with superchargers are out there...doesn't the Vette ZR1 do that?

It's a great way to reduce spool time, especially with a larger turbo. The Supercharger would always make power...when the engine spins, the supercharger spins. This would occur until obviously the turbo is spooled. MOAR POWER EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Here we go again. The S4 did this on a 1,8L 4 cyl to make 250 HP in civilian form and 500+ HP in works form. Welcome to 1985.

and a diagramme

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i really just wanted a little more power and a twin charged subaru would be pretty cool in my book i figured the cost maybe would be a little on the too much side. the turbo i have now is really nice but i just was wondering if supercharger working in conjunction would be a little more fun

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but i also know my trans wont be able to take any more power so ill have to upgrade that too

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
i really just wanted a little more power and a twin charged subaru would be pretty cool in my book i figured the cost maybe would be a little on the too much side. the turbo i have now is really nice but i just was wondering if supercharger working in conjunction would be a little more fun
If you want more power then run more boost. There are plenty of cheaper options then immediately trying to run a twincharged setup. People seem to forget that unless they know enough about these systems and auto mechanics in general,exotic systems are expensive to install,tune and fix. And those 565cc injectors are not helping your situation. I would run a minimum of 650cc injectors on an 18G.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts