Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can flying debris cause short scratches rather than "chips"? In two short months I've started to notice a lot of curved scratches averaging an inch in length all over my front bumper/trim surrounding the grill yet I have yet to see the classic "chip" mark. Not to mention what Im pretty sure was a salt spreader gouged out some deep scratches out of the plastic. Pretty normal with newer models? Just looks strange.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes. And improper washing of the car (not using two buckets/grit guard)/using auto carwashes can cause said scratches. Best to get a sealant or a treatment over the paint when its brand new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ugh. You are living my same issues, sounds like. I posted a similar thread a while back about how pathetic Subaru's paint is. If you have an option for putting protection down on trouble spots early, do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The subaru paint is really bad.

I heard from other people that the ceramic armor protects the paint well. You could do one year coating for about $250 or $1800 for lifetime. I think it worth it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can flying debris cause short scratches rather than "chips"? In two short months I've started to notice a lot of curved scratches averaging an inch in length all over my front bumper/trim surrounding the grill yet I have yet to see the classic "chip" mark. Not to mention what Im pretty sure was a salt spreader gouged out some deep scratches out of the plastic. Pretty normal with newer models? Just looks strange.
Yeah I'm having the same thing here. A little over three months and I'm getting a ton of those scratches. I'll probably try waxing now that it's nice out

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have both the small scratches on the front and chips. Even with a ceramic coating, I can't escape this. It may help reduce them, but they only to truly protect against this is a clear bra.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't use a wax. Use a sealant. Much more durable, but it won't really protect your paint from chips (neither will a wax).
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is recommended. You can layer a wax OVER TOP of a sealant if you really want to, but neither of this will act like a "shield" for chips. It'll make cleaning the car easier, though. Bug guts won't be as sticky on a sealed car versus just clearcoat with no sealant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts