ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flashed stage 1 91 Octane in my new 2011 wrx hatch about 5 days ago and after about 75 miles it just settled in. I have yet to take the car above 4K rpm as I am still not at 1000 mile break-in, Smoooooooooooooth, with an earlier onset of power. I am very, very happy with my investment in the AP. Out of curiosity I was wondering if folks with engine/tune knowhow can tell me what about the stage 1 tune does this? If I am reading the generic Cobb stage map correctly the thing that stands out most to me is the smoother boost curve. The stock peaks earlier at 15.5 PSI, or so, while the 2011 WRX 91 Stage 1 peaks a little later, a little lower at 15 psi, but stays at 15 much longer with a gradual taper down. Is this the smooth power that I feel?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The OEM tune on these cars isn't that great. Even the Cobb OTS maps are better than stock in terms of being smoother.

I run the stage 1 Cobb OTS map on my STI too and it makes a HUGE difference in the power of the car. On my old '04 STi it made a pretty small difference, but on the newer cars the cats flow better so you get better gains from stage 1 than you used to.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,444 Posts
That's interesting that on the older STi you noticed less difference than on your newer STi. It sounds like their Stage 1 is now more worthwhile than it used to be. You must be pleased.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my 2003 when I uploaded Stage 1 OTS. Much more even powerband. As others have said: "Its how the WRX should have come from the factory."

Sent from my Droid 2

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I do believe they tweaked spark timing and fuel delivery over the entire rpm range... but I'd have to double check against a factory map to make sure. I know they added more fuel earlier on, that's why you're seeing power come on earlier. The factory maps are notoriously (some say dangerously) lean. Factory maps are choppy because the management is constantly pulling timing as it senses pre-detonation due to lean conditions.

If you think stage I is nice.. just wait till you go Stage II ... night and day difference then. Mine is still smooth but pulls SO much harder... pretty much have on demand power in every gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts