Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm Voodoo. Navy veteran. Illustrator, DJ and Photographer. All around goofy mother******. I've leased my 2017 WRX last week, going to go pick it up on Sunday and I'm pretty excited about it. Just a short intro about me is all with this but if anyone can give me any driving tips or mods (any covered under warranty) with the car feel free to let me know.

-Voodoo

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Hey! Welcome!

Thanks for your service.

My best advice, and going off personal experience, drive the car stock for a little bit and get a good feel for it. Figure out what you enjoy about the vehicle and what you would do to have both more fun and safety while pushing the car. For me my first "mods" were cosmetic, such as de-badging the vehicle or putting on new emblem covers.

For modifications and warranty it is always a slippery slope. My car for example has a CATBACK, and specifically, an SPT CATBACK Exhaust, which is a part built by Subaru and therefore will not void my warranty. When speaking of what does and does not warranty everyone seems to have a different answer, but in my opinion you should have something in writing from your local dealership that you purchased the vehicle from and will be servicing at whenever needed.

Let us say for the sake of the argument that you install a cold-air-intake on the vehicle with a custom tune. This is a "performance" modification. But down the road (no pun intended) your radio suddenly stops working. Because this is a brand new car with a warranty the radio will still be fixed/replaced under the warranty since what you did the enhance the performance of your vehicle has nothing to do with the reliability and functioning of the car's radio. But if you, for example, have your engine blow, then the dealership may deny your warranty claim if they can link the failure of your engine (such as a spun rod-bearing) to being connected to your modification of the engine and performance of the car in itself.

Thank you again for your service and welcome to the forums DJ! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Basically limit mods to visual/easily removable. Cat back exhaust, wheels, new stereo, that type of stuff.

Tires make a huge difference in feel, as well as aftermarket pads and rotors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically limit mods to visual/easily removable. Cat back exhaust, wheels, new stereo, that type of stuff.

Tires make a huge difference in feel, as well as aftermarket pads and rotors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I think I may eventually change the speakers/sound system inside of it. Seems kinda crappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I think I may eventually change the speakers/sound system inside of it. Seems kinda crappy.

Welcome, and thanks for your service!
In my experience, new speakers alone won't help much, as the head unit is really the weak link in the system. Its just underpowered. Congrats on the new wrx!

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drove it home today, really surprised at the performance. I'm in love with it. Excellent through curves, road noise isn't bad, shifter is good, amenities in the car are alright. I'm thoroughly pleased.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just a thought you can keep the HU if you go with a system that includes an OEM processor:

Mobile Audio - Processors

Congrats! I was Air Force but worked with a lot of Navy folk and spent some time at GITMO. (My dad was Navy too.) Squids were always fun at parties.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a thought you can keep the HU if you go with a system that includes an OEM processor:

Congrats! I was Air Force but worked with a lot of Navy folk and spent some time at GITMO. (My dad was Navy too.) Squids were always fun at parties.
Hell yeah man, we go hard or go home. No in between.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

By the way, kinda New with terminology, what's an HU?

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Head unit. The part you interact with when it comes to your stereo.
Gotcha. May take a look at some processors but in the meantime I made a quick fix with the equalizer settings with the original HU. Definitely wasn't enough bass as I'd like it.

Also trying to make a list of aftermarket parts to add either that can be under warranty or after the car is paid off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The HU is the worse part of the system since it doesn't supply the speakers with enough power. You could upgrade the speakers but it won't have as much as an impact as the HU will. The sound might get slightly better but could also sound worse because of that underpowered head unit. I believe there is an OEM upgrade that you can change out the speakers for kickers and also a subwoofer. I also believe there is an Android Car HU you can install that still gives a factory look compared to an aftermarket HU. Your best bet if you want a better system is start with the HU and go from there i.e. speakers, amps, woofer, tweeters

1 - 20 of 24 Posts