ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so now that my blizzacks are mounted on my stock wheels im going to begin looking for wheels to order for my summer tires. i like the look of the neon orange or green or maybe even white (just gunna be annoyed cleaning break residue off alllll the time). my question is, i went on tire rack and only found 3 or 4 of the brightly colored rims i was talking about. i saw a few people mention sending stuff to get powdercoated, so do order it colored or send it to get powder coated?

·
Æternum
20,922 Posts
Ridiculous neon wheels will increase the frequency of incidents of "Ricers" attempting to race you. From your other posts, you've expressed that this is a major annoyance. I would urge you to consider a set of reasonable and mild-colored wheels.

To answer your question, buying a set of wheels then powder-coating will cost extra $$.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,463 Posts
i went on tire rack
Good choice. If you do end up shopping there, and I have many times for anything from all weathers to race tyres, I think there is a link from this site that you can use; it helps the site.

and only found 3 or 4 of the brightly colored rims i was talking about.
That's 3 or 4 too many.

i saw a few people mention sending stuff to get powdercoated, so do order it colored or send it to get powder coated?
You could, it'll just add expense and time and some hassle. The finish should be OK when you get it back though.

The saving grace with the colours you mentioned is that you won't be able to see them when you are in the car.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea maybe bright colors arent the best option, maybe ill go with a black or white with like some blue or red accents

·
29,463 Posts
yea maybe bright colors arent the best option, maybe ill go with a black or white with like some blue or red accents
Think of it this way: Fashion is what goes out of style.

I don't think anyone on their death bed ever thought to themselves, The one thing I wish I'd done in my life was paid lots of money to replace wheels that are round and hold air anyway with costlier wheels that are painted pink with green polka dots... If only I'd done that....

I'd save the $. If you have something round that holds air, you're set. If you don't, get something as high quality as possible (look for a TUV verification -- this excludes almost any/all Japanese or Chinese wheels).

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the stock BBS i believe that come on the 2011 Sti, i wanna keep em as winter rims and get aftermarket summer wheels

·
29,463 Posts
i have the stock BBS i believe that come on the 2011 Sti, i wanna keep em as winter rims and get aftermarket summer wheels
What car do you own?

·
29,463 Posts
OK. If you have the BBS wheel option those are very high quality wheels. I would keep those for summer rather than expose them to winter if you are going to have two sets of wheels. You'd have to spend a considerable amount of money to get something of similar quality, and it'd be a bit of a waste actually.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
+1

I'd keep the stock BBSs as your summers. They are a very good high quality wheel. Look up prices for aftermarket BBSs if you aren't convinced. If you don't want them for your summers...I'll give you $500 for them, and pick them up :)

Other than that, shop around. Keep looking...and find something you really want. But do look for something quality. You don't want to go throwing a cheap set of wheels onto a brand new higher performance vehicle. Also...poke around here and on Nasioc classifieds for a set of used wheels. You never know what you can find; usually some really good deals.

I'll be doing the same thing come spring since I need new spring rubber anyway. My stock 05 BBSs are beat up after 7 years of use, so I want something nicer for summer, and will be turning my BBSs into the winter wheels.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
I had a friend who ran his '04 OE BBSs as a winter wheel. Many locals gave him crap for it.

Buy a set of inexpensive wheels for the winter, and run the BBSs as summers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts