Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I live in Miami and was wondering if it’s better to get summer tires or stick all season? Will the summer tires last longer than all season? Do summer tires grip better in there rain than all season? Daily driver. Wrx 2011 Sedan

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Summer tires have much more grip than the equivalent all season at the cost of tread life. Rain is going to depend on the summer tire and all season you are comparing.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,598 Posts
Hey guys,
I live in Miami and was wondering if it’s better to get summer tires or stick all season?
I'd go with all season because of the reduced grip -- meaning, the increased (resistance to) treadwear. I like money.

Will the summer tires last longer than all season?
No. The opposite: the all-seasons will last longer than summers.

Do summer tires grip better
At temperatures above, say, 15', yes...

in there rain than all season? Daily driver. Wrx 2011 Sedan
I can't say I've driven a summer and all season from the same maker with the same tread depth and pattern. It's the material that makes the biggest difference frankly. Above 15'-20' on dry tarmac the summer will grip better. Below 15' the all-season will begin to perform better. Adding wet to the question complicates it so I'd kinda ignore the issue entirely and decide how much driving you do in cool temperatures.

I just looked at climate data for Miami. The lowest average temperature during the past 2 decades is usually in January, and that temperature is listed as 16'. So you don't expect average lows below 16'. Frankly you can go with a summer, but at the expense of increased wear.

Ask your wallet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in the Pacific Northwest, and there's a lot of rain here with rare incidents of snow. Even though my stock Dunlops gripped significantly better on dry pavement than the super high performance all season BFGs I put on it, the all seasons are far superior in wet conditions. It was a compromise that made the most sense given the average weather conditions here. Not sure how much rain you get, but if it's dry most of the time, going with summer tires in a warmer climate would be my preference. That is what I recommend, unless you prefer the longer lifespan harder compound AS tires over performance. I just went with the softest compound AS they had available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts