Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking my 2013 WRX sti on a road trip from florida to Colorado in early may and will be camping all around colorado. Since I live in florida I do not have winter tires and the car currently has Michelin pilot super sport tires on it. Will I be alright up in the mountains in may with these tires?

·
Æternum
16,152 Posts
I will be taking my 2013 WRX sti on a road trip from florida to Colorado in early may and will be camping all around colorado. Since I live in florida I do not have winter tires and the car currently has Michelin pilot super sport tires on it. Will I be alright up in the mountains in may with these tires?
Good on you for thinking about this in advance.

My experience with Colorado in May/June is you will see lots of snow in the mountains, mostly off the road. Importantly, the temperatures may fall to ~40deg during the evenings and nights. I'd say you should be generally OK but take caution: summer rubber in the cold is a bad idea on flat roads, significantly more dangerous when grading is considered.

Capture of video taken on June 6th somewhere around the continental divide... I'm not kneeling:

Snow Mountain Slope Outdoor recreation Tree

·
Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
From experience with my 2011 wrx. You can get by on dry roads but your braking and cornering limit is greatly limited in comparison to what you would expect in summer weather.

If you plan on getting into the mountains even winter tires may be at their limits so you may want to have chains either way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts