ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 WRX and I'm in the market for new tires. Not wanting to change out tires for seasons, I'm looking for a high performance all season tire. Probably will be in the snow and ice 10 times a year, but mostly highway, in town driving as trips to the hills for camping and biking. I'm been looking at the goodyear assurance tripletred all season. Any suggestions?

At 100,000 miles, I try not to beat on the car anymore, but sometimes, I have to open her up, so stick and grip is important. Also, a tire good on fuel economy would certainly help as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
there's a hankook optimo h720 something or other that i've had on my '04 wrx for a while, great all-arround tires, winter or summer, snow and ice their traction is amazing, in the rain and sun its not the best the car has seen, but overall its the best tire

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
I am currently running the Hankook Ventus v12s. They are a very decent tire. Predictable under hard cornering, relatively quiet, cheaper, and a great everyday driver.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Tacomaboy, I sometimes visit Big Bear and stay overnight. Have you had a chance to try out the V12s on very cold tarmac yet?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am looking for new tires as well. My current runner ups are:

Dunlop SP 5000s

bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

pirelli P Zero Nero M+S

continental ContiExtreme Contact

michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Yokohama Adven S4

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Tacomaboy, I sometimes visit Big Bear and stay overnight. Have you had a chance to try out the V12s on very cold tarmac yet?
SD_GR, I haven't had a chance to try them out on an exceptionally cold surface. I think the coldest I've driven with them yet was about 50 degrees. I haven't made a trip to Big Bear in a long time in a car (mostly a bicycle)... I love that section of 330 on the mountainside just a few miles prior to the dam and the 18 junction. I love the way that road seems to flow.

·
29,225 Posts
SD_GR, I haven't had a chance to try them out on an exceptionally cold surface. I think the coldest I've driven with them yet was about 50 degrees. I haven't made a trip to Big Bear in a long time in a car (mostly a bicycle)... I love that section of 330 on the mountainside just a few miles prior to the dam and the 18 junction. I love the way that road seems to flow.
I do too. I used to only go once in a long while, and almost entirely in summer, meaning I could run summers on my Impreza no problem. However, I foresee driving up there in winter, and at best it will be very cold tarmac (at worst it will be a frozen wasteland...). So I'm trying to see whether I need to fit all-weathers (no point in having dedicated winters in SoCal) and sacrifice dry warm (sea-level) tarmac performance.

·
Banned
664 Posts
for an all around the conti dws were pretty damn good!!! couldnt touch a full blown winter tire though like the conti extreme winter, ws-60 or studdless winters they have out. hands down they kill an all season any day. for summer the conti dw has been awesome. the reviews dont lie. i can push 70-80-90 mph on on ramps, no hydro planning in heavy rain, there super light and side walls have just enough give so there quite and soft yet firm for hard cornering. prices on conti stuff is really good too!

this winter i got rid of my ws-60's and will try the conti extreme contacts since they came in first over the new ws-70. i could go dws again but i like a real sharp tough winter tire to have fun in.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I am currently running the Hankook Ventus v12s. They are a very decent tire. Predictable under hard cornering, relatively quiet, cheaper, and a great everyday driver.
I am looking for new tires as well. My current runner ups are:

Dunlop SP 5000s

bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

pirelli P Zero Nero M+S

continental ContiExtreme Contact

michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Yokohama Adven S4
The OP asked for all seasons.....

I've driven a lot of miles on the Ventus V12 tires and they're challenged on dry cold pavement, never mind any hint of snow. That would be scary.

Personally, I'm going to be looking elsewhere when the time comes for new summer tires. I drive my cars in a lot more extreme conditions than most of you do though and the Ventus just doesn't stack up. Dry grip isn't great, and they wear out fairly quickly (7k miles out of my rears on my 911 and maybe 15k on the fronts).

·
29,225 Posts
I've driven a lot of miles on the Ventus V12 tires and they're challenged on dry cold pavement, never mind any hint of snow. That would be scary.
Thanks, that's info I needed to consider.

synolimit said:
for an all around the conti dws were pretty damn good!!!
Thanks. Just to clarify, you mean the DWS, as in
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

right? You're not saying the DW in plural, but the DWS, that is an all-season? Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Thanks, that's info I needed to consider.
[/url]
I was sold on the Ventus as a lower cost option to the more expensive Contis or Michelins normally found on Porsches, and a tire that got more wear out of it than them. My experience is they wear just as fast or maybe faster. Their grip is pretty good on hot pavement, but anything approaching cool or cold pavement and they grip like crap. I did an autox in my 911 this weekend with them on and the front tires had very little grip at all in the cool temps. The rear tires were spinning like mad.

·
29,225 Posts
I was sold on the Ventus as a lower cost option to the more expensive Contis or Michelins normally found on Porsches, and a tire that got more wear out of it than them. My experience is they wear just as fast or maybe faster. Their grip is pretty good on hot pavement, but anything approaching cool or cold pavement and they grip like crap. I did an autox in my 911 this weekend with them on and the front tires had very little grip at all in the cool temps. The rear tires were spinning like mad.
Exactly what I need to know, thanks. A friend loves them on his 911 but SoCal is a very different environment (high temperature today near my home even though it was overcast: 31! Expecting 33 or higher tomorrow, and this may as well be Xmas day, it generally gets warm during the day). I may still be tempted by them and simply resort to using another car to go to the mountains, we'll see.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Don't get me wrong, they'll be just fine driving on the cold pavement, but there's a significant difference in their difference between warm and cold pavement. For the price savings you get from them versus better tires, I honestly would rather spend an extra $100 (for the STI) and get better ones. For my 911 the price difference is more like $300-400 but I'm still going to spend the extra money next time.

·
29,225 Posts
I see. Is there something you are considering yet?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
SD_GR said:
I've driven them in temps as low as 30° (5:30AM heading to work, 55-60° high for the day). I wouldn't push them even @ ~40-45°, but I haven't ever felt unsafe with normal driving.

They're not the best tire, but for the price, they're a great tire.

I've had better luck with treadlife than Scott, however. I've got about 20K miles on them, and am still around 50%. Highway miles account for much of that, but I do a fair bit of fun runs on back roads.

·
29,225 Posts
Your account makes them sound much more attractive, thanks for that. I don't plan on pushing in the cold, but I do need the car to move on its own and I am not keen on being featured on CNN or anything. If they can make it up and down the mountain once in a rare while without killing me, they should be OK.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
SD_GR said:
Your account makes them sound much more attractive, thanks for that. I don't plan on pushing in the cold, but I do need the car to move on its own and I am not keen on being featured on CNN or anything. If they can make it up and down the mountain once in a rare while without killing me, they should be OK.
As long as the road is dry, and it's borderline temperature-wise for summer tires (with 40° being the reference point), I'd have no problem driving my car on them, nor recommending them to a friend.

Obviously, an A/S or winter tire is better for sub-40 temperatures, but if it's going to see limited instances, I think the benefit of having a summer-only tire for the other 355 or so days/year is worth taking it easy the few times it may not be the best weather for summer tires.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I've driven them in temps as low as 30° (5:30AM heading to work, 55-60° high for the day). I wouldn't push them even @ ~40-45°, but I haven't ever felt unsafe with normal driving.

They're not the best tire, but for the price, they're a great tire.

I've had better luck with treadlife than Scott, however. I've got about 20K miles on them, and am still around 50%. Highway miles account for much of that, but I do a fair bit of fun runs on back roads.
Keep in mind my tire wear is on my 911 not a Subaru. ;)

I agree with your assessment of the tires though. Good in warm temps and mediocre at best in colder temps. I just don't tend to try and save that much on tires since they're the only part of your 1.5+ ton vehicle that's keeping you on the road. :)

I haven't settled on anything yet, but if BF Goodrich ends up expanding the sizes available on the KDW2 so I can get one wide enough for the rear rims of the Porsche, I'll probably give those a go. I had them on my last STi and I really liked them. I've heard road noise complaints when they get low, but the grip is awesome. There was a 400+ whp/wtq Miata with a SC'ed Mustang 5.0 in it at the autox yesterday and the tires did really well on that car too.

There's also a Kumho tire guys use a lot in the Porsche world that's similar to the Ventus. I think maybe it's the Ecsta? Not sure. I need to look more at the reviews and see if it gets better grip than the Ventus. For the STI, those stock Dunlops (the 6000?) did really great on the track. Better than I expected. But I don't think they're a cheap tire anyway.

I might also go back to the standard Porsche Conti Sports or Michelins if I find a good deal on them.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
teflon_jones said:
Keep in mind my tire wear is on my 911 not a Subaru. ;)

I agree with your assessment of the tires though. Good in warm temps and mediocre at best in colder temps. I just don't tend to try and save that much on tires since they're the only part of your 1.5+ ton vehicle that's keeping you on the road. :)
Yes, your 911 is in a different class, but that is a double-edged sword. While you've had "poor" tire life in your 911, Spiros' fairly stock WRX is likely to have results more similar to mine.

Also, I don't know many (if any) summer-only tires that perform well in sub-40 temperatures. Can you recommend a better one?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The OP asked for all seasons.....

Personally, I'm going to be looking elsewhere when the time comes for new summer tires. I drive my cars in a lot more extreme conditions than most of you do though and the Ventus just doesn't stack up. Dry grip isn't great, and they wear out fairly quickly (7k miles out of my rears on my 911 and maybe 15k on the fronts).
All of the tires I listed were all season tires.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts