ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I'm new to the Colorado area, and the lease on my A4 is up at the end of this month. I posted on here before asking for some help finding a body shop because my car got wrecked by hail... (THANKS scubasteve!)

So here I am, looking to get a subie. Actually I want something with more cargo room than my A4 did (just about everything in the world fits this catagory), and something that's a bit more rugged.

I test drove the 05 Outback XT and the the WRX sportwagon, and really liked the Outback. I found the turbo lag a bit more pronounced than I was expecting on the WRX. (it was worse than my 1.8T, but did make my Audi feel like a 15,000lb tank).

BUT... I think the Outback is just a little too much "station wagon" for me, regardless of how badass the 2.5l motor is. The WRX wagon looks a lot less like a typical mom-mobile in my mind. I wouldn't mind having the added cargo room of the outback, plus the rideheight, but like I said... I'm having this station wagon hangup.

I would love to hear your comments/suggestions! Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Reapeat after me :) The WRX is NOT an Audi... Road noise, gadgets etc... If you like that sort of luxury, then the WRX will "disappoint". Outside of that, its a WONDERFUL car that is fun, goes anywhere and has loads of potential.

If you like the "luxury" of the audi, the I would go for the Legacy turbo sport wagon. I test drove one of those a couple of months ago and all I can say is "Wow"! It was quiet, fun, quick and the looks of it are very impressive compared to previous models. I really like the new Legacys.

Just my nonsense :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
WRX-games said:
I test drove one of those a couple of months ago and all I can say is "Wow"! It was quiet, fun, quick and the looks of it are very impressive compared to previous models. I really like the new Legacys.

Just my nonsense :)
If I had a dollar everytime you've said this I would have a 11sec. car...;)

JayCo. My old lady has the 1.8T Jetta fully loaded (I'm going to put it on the same line as an A4). the WRX sucks compared to it. The road noise is horable in the WRX compared to the Jetta. There are no bells and wissels in a WRX. When I go to Dub meets, people ask my how I like my car compared to the Jetta. My responce:"I have an All wheel drive, turbo'd tin can." Wife makes fun of my car all the time. Any time I talk about moding it she responds with; flicking the interior roof, "tink" sound, and she says "this tin can"...

If you do get a wrx its going to take some getting use to...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Get a 05 Legacy 2.5 GT WAGON... Just think, sleeper, wagon, turbo...:D A bit expensive, but well worth it...:wiggles:

-Jon-

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
skimann20 said:
If I had a dollar everytime you've said this I would have a 11sec. car...;)
That's it, Rufus. No more leftovers for you after the soccer games.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hate to admit it

But if I'd been up for spending 30g+, I'd probly have gotten the Legacy. Test drove both an '05 Outback and an '05 WRX wagon, both with 3 people inside and the ac on. The Outback was pretty impressive running up I-70 to Evergreen.
But I was looking to get something for a bit less cash, and am really happy w/ my '02 WRX wagon. It makes me look forward to the drive home. The interior noise level took me a bit to get used to, but the stereo w/ the factory sub takes the edge off. I think that's mostly tire noise, maybe I'll look for quieter tires when these are done...
And my wife (who has an '01 Outback) was pretty sold on the '05's, so we'll probly end up with one eventually, anyway...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any time I talk about moding it she responds with; flicking the interior roof, "tink" sound, and she says "this tin can"...

If you do get a wrx its going to take some getting use to... [/B]
Wow... I really appreciate your honesty on this one. Most car enthusiast forums would try to sway someone into buying their car, regardless of the situation.

Maybe I'll go drive them both again. So basically what you're saying is... if I think that the "quality/niceness" issues with the WRX are going to be a problem with me, I should go for the Outback?

·
Registered
332 Posts
WRX-games said:
That's it, Rufus. No more leftovers for you after the soccer games.
So thats what is to you now! Leftovers! I thought I ment more than that to you... Sob sob sob.

are you going to be there this week?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yo JayCo,
I would say buy what works for you. I don't notice the road noise at all... that is untill I get into Trish's car. There is none in here car. And her monson sound system kicks my cars sound systems a$$. Sometimes I wish I didn't buy the car. But I have met alot of really cool people on this thread and they have endless smarts when it comes to subaru's. I'm with J, I would really consider the turbo legacy. they have some cheep leases if your into that. I've never been in the outback. I would just go with what your gut says, not what the excelleration tells you. Unless thats what you are looking for...

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
skimann20 said:
So thats what is to you now! Leftovers! I thought I ment more than that to you... Sob sob sob.

are you going to be there this week?
I will be there this week, fo sho!

Back on topic:

]Maybe I'll go drive them both again. So basically what you're saying is... if I think that the "quality/niceness" issues with the WRX are going to be a problem with me, I should go for the Outback?
That is what Brad and I are both saying, I think.

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
How much modding do you plan on doing? I agree about the WRX being a tin can, but that can be fixed if you don't mind doing a fairly significant amount of work.
I've sound deadened 80% of the interior, the only major road noise I get now is from having fairly loud summer tires and stiffer springs. If you modify the exhaust and make it slightly louder, chances are it will cover up the road noise anyway.
The WRX for me is a street legal race car (although it's not exactly street legal at this point :tongue: ) so I love hearing the turbo whistle, the exhaust purr, and the alien sounding warble of the tires.

<--- obviously biased, I love the WRX more than any other car under $40k :)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yes, the Legacy GT turbo wagon should be faster and better handling if it is still lighter with stiffer suspension than the turbo Outback.

A bone stock WRX wagon is very quiet compared to most cars (maybe not luxury cars, but most other compact cars). The turbo makes it sound much quieter than any typical 4 cyclinder. That and the softer suspension makes it feel like a luxury car compared to my Acura or Honda. The only roughness to it are the occasional rough idle that can shake the entire car and the lopey sounding turbo-chop exhaust note also only heard at idle.

The WRX may feel more laggey than the Outback, but it is faster.

With the WRX wagon, you get the performance and sportyness of the WRX with the cargo hauling versatility of a wagon. And the bold C-pillar and hidden D-piller are the magic that make it appear as a sedan from the side rather the never ending body lenth of a typical wagon.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I also vote for the 2005 turbo legacy. I think you would be very impressed. Probably better performer than the audi on all levels. Fast, quiet, responsive, and a pretty neat auto tranny if you are into that type of thing. They do make it in a 5 speed as well. Other than that you could give the Rex a whirl as well, but I think the Legacy would compare closer to the Audi.

-Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ry-Guy said:
I also vote for the 2005 turbo legacy. I think you would be very impressed. Probably better performer than the audi on all levels. Fast, quiet, responsive, and a pretty neat auto tranny if you are into that type of thing. They do make it in a 5 speed as well. Other than that you could give the Rex a whirl as well, but I think the Legacy would compare closer to the Audi.

-Ryan
Oh, I'm sure that the Legacy GT is a better performer than the Audi. But one of the issues is, I'm not just looking for something that runs great *on* the road. The reason I'm considering the Outback XT is because it has the same motor as the GT, same interior acouturements (sp?), and has the ride height to match what I'm going to want (need)?

So far here are what I'm looking at, In order of probability:

05 Outback XT
WRX Sportwagon
Xterra
allroad (only if I can get a KILLER deal on one. it's the last run for the allroad, so there are lots of incentives right now.)

Here are my issues with each one respectively:

Outback = wagon. (I'm 27... do I *need* to be driving a station wagon yet?:confused: )

WRX = wagon somewhat (not as opposed to this wagon, but loses out on ride height/cargo space, and I'd like to stay out of modding... have done it for 3 years with the Audi)

Xterra = SUV (I'm somewhat loathsome of SUVs, not even sure if I like the thing)

allroad = $$ (I love this car. I know I know... "It's a wagon too!" But there's a coolness factor there. Not sure what it is. It will be a guzzler though. Twin Turbo 2.7 liter in a *HEAVY* car)

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
svc said:
Is the Allroad ride-height adjustable?
Yeah it has some trick suspension that you can dial up or down from the cabin. That's one of the reasons it's so heavy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts