ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't die, I just haven't been here for a long time, turns out I'm a little obsessed with Galaxy Nexus's's's and CM :wave:

I noticed recently that when down shifting my clutch would be a micro second slower to engage, I chalked (chocked?) it up to "user error", and said "must driver smoother". On my way back home from the office today, it got even slower to engage, and the pedal was stiffer. Pedal was slow to return as well, I had to use my toe to lift it back up as I neared home. Actually glad it happened today rather than in rush hour on Monday.

Edit: slow to engage and then won't return to top at all unless I use my toe, I'm not sure if slow pedal return was an accurate description.

-return springs fine (visually, and feel stiff),
-fluid at min level (I check it frequently'ish and it was always at max),
-no leak apparent.

Guesses? Clutch Cylinder? Pressure plate? Time for new clutch? I'm not convinced that bad fluid would lead to such a sudden deterioration. I was never uber confident in the P.O.'s poop clutch job...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
hmm, junk on the TOB?

when my clutch was going, one thing that made it worse was that the entire shaft it was on was completely gunked up, so it would come back on slower and with much less pressure.

Anyway, that's sort of a last ditch thing to try, but just a suggestion, for once you've exhausted other options...

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
My friend's 04 always had a real goofy clutch engagement. Felt like a pressure sensitive floor panel - no pedal travel I swear. We always chalked it up to a goofy pressure plate.

Turns out following a stainless clutch line and a delay delete... the issue was in the bleed. I'd suggest trying to re-bleed the clutch cylinder. Air was stuck in his for years, and never showed up. Now the pedal comes back up a bit past engagement, making it much easier to modulate.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Neither the time nor the inclination to do anything myself lately, so the car is going to my friendly neighbourhood wrench tomorrow. Chances are I'll end up going with a new clutch/flywheel regardless, whether it's bleed related or not. I've had to fix about half a dozen mistakes the bozo P.O. made when he installed a clutch himself so I feel comfortable wasting money if necessary ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Understandable.

I wouldn't feel confident saying it is the bleeder for sure, but it's like checking the tire pressure when the car tracks unevenly... Just an easy check as long as you don't mind taking the intercooler off.

That being said.. I have that Murphys law feeling that it's the pressure plate and not the bleed.

Be nice to just have it done and done right. And not have to take work off for it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TOB it is. To fix the bearing, I'm getting a new clutch and flywheel put in :-D

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
TOB it is. To fix the bearing, I'm getting a new clutch and flywheel put in :-D
Will feel great following the repair at least :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would have been done days ago, but the clutch fork was borked as well, I'm guessing this happened as I was nursing it home after the complete TOB failure. None of the stealerships in my area had the part in stock. Should be ready tomorrow. Needless to say my car will feel extra fast after driving a slow and understeering 4runner for a few days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts