Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put my uppipe in about 1-2 months ago, using the suby dude gasket set. Just last week, i sprung an exhaust leak. I started taking things apart today, and guess what I saw! I've attached pictures of the uppipe to passenger side manifold gasket. It literally just disintegrated. It looks and feels like a piece of cardboard. I could tear into little pieces if I wanted to. WTF?!?!?

so now i need to get an OEM gasket, but the dealerships are all closed on sunday. :mad: would reusing my old uppipe gasket be a good idea?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i didnt tear it or anything here. i just picked it up and the weight of the gasket tore it apart like that.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Put those asbestos containing gaskets in a plastic bag and stop handling them. Look at the exposed, friable fibers. Those are bad news for your lungs.

·
Registered
878 Posts
MisterX said:
Put those asbestos containing gaskets in a plastic bag and stop handling them. Look at the exposed, friable fibers. Those are bad news for your lungs.
mmmm asbestos...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MisterX said:
oh ****, putting in bag now

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
WTF and they charge like $60 for that????? I say we boycot them or do something. I was planning to buy a set form them but in this case I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Man I just bought mine like 2 weeks ago and they are metal. I'll take a picture of the ones I haven't used yet. or you can contact Roam'n Cyote and murray29, they were 5ply metal.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rallymaniac said:
WTF and they charge like $60 for that????? I say we boycot them or do something. I was planning to buy a set form them but in this case I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!
well i would be against boycotting them. Subydude seems like a great guy, and the metal gaskets he's selling now seem like they are very high quality.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
A lot of gaskets are like this.... they just can't be used more than once.

I'm surprised it fell apart while in use though, that sucks. :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
Uppipe Gaskets

Guess what? MY SubyDude gaskets did the SAME exact thing! I blew out a chunk of them!

Give SubyDude an email, and he'll send you a free replacement uppipe metal crush-type gasket for FREE! I did it and I'm pleased with the results!

Hope this helps Shibby!

·
Registered
292 Posts
i bought an uppipe from him and the gaskets were made of cardboard too. i never installed the uppipe though so thankgoodness

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I just went w/ OEM ones. No problems whatsoever...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes!

i just installed the manifold w/ my old gaskets, and it appears to be leak free. Hopefully it stays that way. I've emailed subydude about this, and I'll let you know what develops.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gruppe-s has a 6 gasket set aswell as individual ones. Only gasket that was paper was the d/p to midpipe one. All others like factory but thicker metal(5x rather than 3 I believe). I have had no leaks aside from the paper gasket I mentioned. $59 shipped for complete set. SD will take care of you though. He's cool like that.:wiggles:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts