Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subtle-Solutions Alternator Cover & Radiator Shroud Review: Simple, Easy, Dress Up!!

Everyone knows that the STI engine is a masterpiece and people love to look at it... so I wanted to dress it up some...

I started with Subtle-Solutions Alternator Cover and Radiator Shroud.

I got them from here: Subtle Solutions

I ordered it and 3 days later this showed up at my door.....

It came perfectly packed and snugg...Opened the box...

Unpacked all the padding and the pieces were wrapped so nothing would be scratched...

Laid everything out to check and see what came...

Alternator Cover....

Radiator Shroud....

At first look I noticed how solid and well made these were... After seeing the quality from the license plate delete, I had high expectations and I am happy to say these exceeded my expectations. There were zero flaws and the screws and installation pieces were safely in a ziplock bag.
A few things that I liked about Subtle Solutions is the following:
CAD designed
CNC Pressed
CNC Laser Cut
304 Stainless Steel
Made in USA

INSTALL:

RADIATOR SHROUD

First I started with the Radiator Shroud... I held up the piece and it was very easy to see where the holes lined up by looking at the bolts on the car... the hardest thing about the install was the metal clips that hold the radiator in place(which was super easy anyways), they need to be lifted up and the shroud goes under it... see the pics...

Here you see the clip in place without the bolt...

Here is the clip over to the side showing where it is suppose to go into the shroud openings...

The rest of the install was as simple as unscrewing/unbolting and screwing/bolting back in and taking off the air scoop and putting it back on...

Here is a pic of the Shroud in place without the scoop installed....

***Final install Pictures will be after the Alternator Shroud install pics***

ALTERNATOR SHROUD

This was even faster than the radiator simply because there are 2 bolts that hold it into place... The factory cover has only one bolt and a plug that holds it in place... The Subtle-Solutions piece secures the cover with 2 bolts for a tight fitting... They even go a step further and include black cylinders that go around the bolts and give it an even tighter safer fit. See pics below...

The is a view from under the right side of the cover where its secured with a bolt, cylinder, washers, and a nut...

Here is a view from under the left side of the cover where its secured with a bolt, cylinder, and washers into the factory hole ( no nut needed )....

In both pictures of the underside view you can see the black cylinders.

Once both bolts are in place and tightened down, your install is finished...

Shroud tightened down and installed:

Installed without SUBTLE decals:

Installed the decals that was included:

Finished Product:

Overall I am very pleased with the way these turned out. The front bumper top is now covered and looks complete. I felt without the cover on it looks like something was missing. The Alternator Cover gives a new look to the engine bay away from the typical smaller stock plastic cover. I have showed it off to a couple people and all four said that something was different and it looked cleaner. The material is strong and the black doesnt scratch easy at all. My clumsy self dropped a 10mm socket on it with no scratch made. Subtle-Solutions made another killer product and I definitely recommend both the cover and the shroud to anyone that is wanting to spruce up the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I absolutely love the look of the Subtle-Solutions stuff!

Trying to convince myself to spend the money on it is a different story lol.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
I also have Subtle Solutions Radiator shroud and Alternator cover for my Forester...couldnt be more happier!!! I love them! They complete the look of the engine bay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I absolutely love the look of the Subtle-Solutions stuff!

Trying to convince myself to spend the money on it is a different story lol.
Man you will not regret it, everytime you open the hood you smile... Im super happy and its WELL worth the $!!

I also have Subtle Solutions Radiator shroud and Alternator cover for my Forester...couldnt be more happier!!! I love them! They complete the look of the engine bay.
Yes they do... Covers the ugly back part of the front bumper cover and tabs... looks so nice...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts