Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have trouble keeping their s ubaru clean??? I wash, I was, I do everything I can but everytime I drive it gets extremely dirty... It's a pita. And I bit discouraging. I dry it off with microfiber towels I do everything I should but nothing works I notice the sides and the lid area are the worst... It's annoying af

·
Registered
34 Posts
I might be wrong here. But the shape of the vehicle encourages dirt. Or dirt just thinks it's so cool that it is attracted to it

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
How clean are you getting it when you wash it? Have you clayed it? Do you seal or wax it? If you have particles already embedded within the paint other particles from the road will latch onto them easier.

I might be wasting my time if you already do this, but a good clay bar cleaning will take away all of the particles embedded in your paint. This will make your paint nice and smoother. Either wax it, or hit it with a good spray sealant like Chemical Guys Hybrid 7. This will make your paint smooth. The sealant will help fill in your swirls and keep the paint slick. You'll even notice the water bead off.

I used to be really anal about it spending hours using every product in the book, but my formula for keeping the paint clean is a good soap, two bucket wash method, a clay bar/wash mitt using as I wash, dry with microfiber towels, spray the entire car with Chemical Guys Hybrid 7. Windows, plastic trim, and all.

Also, mud flaps help with keeping the side of the car clean. I want to keep mine completely stock, but even I threw on a set of flaps due to their practicality.

Again, th

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I was it each time. Never tried clay I might look into that even mud flaps were hard to keep clean lol... but I might put some on and try the clay thx for the advice

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Subaru has horrible paint </3

We have had a 1994 Volvo 850... (green)
We have had a 1998 BMW M3... (white)
We have had a 2002 Camry Le... (white)
We have had a 2006 Camry Le... (silver)
We have had a 2008 Camry Le... (silver)
We have had a 2010 MB E350... (black)

All cars were purchased used with multiple previous owners...
All cars had been owned for at least ten years (with the exception of the MB which was sold in 2018)...
All cars were driven through tropical storms and blizzards...

None of them ever had paint chipped or had an issue staying clean...

Subaru has really bad paint from what we have seen...

heck we JUST picked up a 2015 RX350 in pure pearl white and it has no issues...

I can only imagine how bad it is if you have a crazy cool color... I have a simple silver and it's bad... :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I've read all over subarus paint is horrible... I have only owned subarus my 2003 Bugeye was even worse than my 07 wrx but silver doesn't show dirt as badly not as visible as the wrb. It would stay clean for 24 hours after a nice wash wax and proper dry... I might look into getting it repainted down the line but need to make sure it will stay clean for more than a day after a wash. But then again our cars were meant for dirt so idk might just throw some ralley armors on it and gut it out lol

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yes I was it each time. Never tried clay I might look into that even mud flaps were hard to keep clean lol... but I might put some on and try the clay thx for the advice
You can spend all day using a clay bar with the lubricant. Or, you can get a clay mitt. I've used both methods and I will never go back to the old school clay bar. Using the mit carefully is a fraction of time compared to the clay bar.

Get a mitt with one side microfiber and the other side clay. Wash a panel with the microfiber mitt side, rinse, soap, and gently use the clay side. Don't waste your time using lube/mitt separately from the wash. Use two buckets. One to rinse the debris off of the glove/clay. One to soap it back up. Don't use abrasive towels. Microfiber.

You'll feel one hell of a difference when you're done. You can spend a few hours waxing, but I've found Chemical Guys Hybrid 7 spray sealant to work just as well, if not better, than traditional wax. The whole process can take you an hour or so, vs. several hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...uys+clay+mitt&qid=1552459611&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...697&s=gateway&sprefix=hybrid+7,aps,163&sr=8-3

My goal is to be able to clean the outside of my car within about an hour. I used to spend all day cleaning my cars. Now, I'm all about doing the best possible job within the limitations of still being easy and not time consuming. It's a balance.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can spend all day using a clay bar with the lubricant. Or, you can get a clay mitt. I've used both methods and I will never go back to the old school clay bar. Using the mit carefully is a fraction of time compared to the clay bar.

Get a mitt with one side microfiber and the other side clay. Wash a panel with the microfiber mitt side, rinse, soap, and gently use the clay side. Don't waste your time using lube/mitt separately from the wash. Use two buckets. One to rinse the debris off of the glove/clay. One to soap it back up. Don't use abrasive towels. Microfiber.

You'll feel one hell of a difference when you're done. You can spend a few hours waxing, but I've found Chemical Guys Hybrid 7 spray sealant to work just as well, if not better, than traditional wax. The whole process can take you an hour or so, vs. several hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...uys+clay+mitt&qid=1552459611&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...697&s=gateway&sprefix=hybrid+7,aps,163&sr=8-3

My goal is to be able to clean the outside of my car within about an hour. I used to spend all day cleaning my cars. Now, I'm all about doing the best possible job within the limitations of still being easy and not time consuming. It's a balance.
You are claying way too often. Using clay (even a mit) will introduce swrills to the paint as you work any contaminates out. You need to polish after using clay. For maintenance you should be using a two bucket wash and a product like iron-x which is a chemical removal. Then just clay and polish once a year or so.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
I use an automatic car wash. Works just fine.

Also. I've never been on a car forum that hasn't complained about how horrible the paint is on their particular vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Subaru has horrible paint </3

We have had a 1994 Volvo 850... (green)
We have had a 1998 BMW M3... (white)
We have had a 2002 Camry Le... (white)
We have had a 2006 Camry Le... (silver)
We have had a 2008 Camry Le... (silver)
We have had a 2010 MB E350... (black)

All cars were purchased used with multiple previous owners...
All cars had been owned for at least ten years (with the exception of the MB which was sold in 2018)...
All cars were driven through tropical storms and blizzards...

None of them ever had paint chipped or had an issue staying clean...

Subaru has really bad paint from what we have seen...

heck we JUST picked up a 2015 RX350 in pure pearl white and it has no issues...

I can only imagine how bad it is if you have a crazy cool color... I have a simple silver and it's bad... :p
Most cars built in the past several years or so have lower quality paint than older cars. It seems most of the manufacturers have gone to water-based paints to comply with EPA emissions regulations. Despite being clear coated, they just don't hold up as well as the older non-water solvent paints.

We've had a couple of Honda's, a Nissan, and a Ford over the past decade that all chipped like crazy. Literally dozens if not hundreds of stone chips every year, which I constantly touched up to prevent rust. After a few years the cars looked like they had extensive freckles.

There seems to be no good solution to fragile paint on newer cars except some kind of clear coating like XPEL, which works well from what I've seen but isn't cheap.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Most cars built in the past several years or so have lower quality paint than older cars. It seems most of the manufacturers have gone to water-based paints to comply with EPA emissions regulations. Despite being clear coated, they just don't hold up as well as the older non-water solvent paints.

We've had a couple of Honda's, a Nissan, and a Ford over the past decade that all chipped like crazy. Literally dozens if not hundreds of stone chips every year, which I constantly touched up to prevent rust. After a few years the cars looked like they had extensive freckles.

There seems to be no good solution to fragile paint on newer cars except some kind of clear coating like XPEL, which works well from what I've seen but isn't cheap.
interesting - thank makes sense then

1 - 11 of 11 Posts