ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru is previewing its next-generation Subaru Legacy with this new Subaru Advanced Tourer Concept for the Tokyo motor show later this month. It will be launched in Tokyo alongside the final production version of the Subaru BRZ coupe and an ‘ultimate’ version of the Subaru Impreza WRX STI called S206.

The Legacy-previewing estate concept is at the forefront of Subaru’s engine downsizing strategy, featuring a turbocharged 1.6-litre four-cylinder boxer engine mated to an electric motor. The set-up is claimed to offer the same power output of its 2.5-litre boxer unit, but with much improved CO2 emissions and fuel economy. Latest versions of Subaru’s CVT gearbox and trademark all-wheel drive system also feature.

Read More: autocar.co.uk/NewsArticle/259896/

.:drive2:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
s206.....sounds interesting. But i doubt the US will get them. We never get the good stuff

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,451 Posts
I've been braying and carrying on about the need for smaller, not larger motors since they made what I will leniently call a sidestep and introduced the 2.5L turbo instead of doing the right thing and designing a 1.8L turbo with the same output as the 2.0L, less weight, fewer emissions, and less fuel consumption. It's good to see they are on the correct path again with the 1.6L mentioned.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I will say Subaru making all these "new" changes gets me excited. I'll be ready to buy a new car in a year and a half (will be keeping my bugeye as a project) and am excited to see what will be available

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aslong as the wrx / sti come with a 1.6T motor in the future , we can hope that they'll come back to WRC :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,451 Posts
aslong as the wrx / sti come with a 1.6T motor in the future , we can hope that they'll come back to WRC :)
True. It's clearly going to be the way of the future, and the more makers that embrace it, the better.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
My kneejerk response to the engine downsizing is negative..."Oh great, another wheezy engine that I have to rev to 5000rpms before I get any power..."

But I'm forced to remember that I grew up in a generation that believed that anything smaller than 5.7 liters was anemic and unworthy. (or at least, that's what I thought in high school) We've come a long way, and will continue to do more with less.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive been looking at some rumors about the next gen WRX/STI and most say that they will be built on an unique plateform (probably loose impreza and just keep wrx in the name). I still like this rendering at autoguide.com

AutoGuide - Large Gallery

also taken from their website

" What is Subaru planning for the next STI? We’re sorry to say we don’t have the answer, yet, but if you’re a Subie fanboy the car’s product boss has some good news for you. According to Akihide Takeuchi, Impreza product manager, we should have high expectations.

Not expected to debut until about a year from now the car will reportedly be offered first as a hatchback and then as a sedan, with hatchback models homologated for rally driving and sedans for touring car. Power is expected to be a few ticks higher, with the Japanese-Spec model getting an updated turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder making 330-hp and 324 lb-ft of torque – and increase of 8-hp and 12 lb-ft.

Previous reports have suggested Subaru may actually spin-off the WRX and STI models from the Impreza lineup, instead building them on a unique platform. On suggestion included a smaller sub-compact-sized model with as much as 270-hp from a turbocharged 1.6-liter.

Stay tuned to see which rumors bear fruit."

Ive been reading a 2012 cars book (in french, i speak french) but they also say the same thing about a different plateform for the WRX/STI and they been speaking about a new boxer engine "twin charged" mixing turbocharged and supercharged.

All of this is still rumors but ppl can start dreaming :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts