Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went in for my 15k oil change on my 15 STI. I've been pretty content with the dealership I go to and they usually do a great job. I get my oil changes at the dealership so I can keep track of everything for warranty records and so I can show all of my maintenance and meticulous care of the car to the next owner of this vehicle.

Anyway, I checked in and took a seat in the waiting room. A few minutes later I heard the beautiful rumble of my Corsa exhaust, as my car was fired up. I always love hearing my car drive to and from the service bay, as I rarely ever get a chance to hear it outside of the car. As I heard the vehicle pull out, I heard the tech blipping the throttle a little more than usual, all the way back to the service bay. Once he got inside the service bay, I heard several revs which I believed to be around 4k. Again, I usually don't mind this, and admittedly I enjoyed hearing the car, but it almost got to the point where it was excessive.

Fast forward to a half hour later and I again hear the Corsa rumble back to life. Except this time, only after about two seconds, I could hear the tech take it up to 4, maybe 5k, before the oil pressure even had time to stabilize! I was instantly pissed and heard the car get revved up, almost to redline, several more times! I went outside to the registration and asked to speak with a manager. As I waited, one of the techs pulled the car around to the parking area and just constantly blipped the throttle to 3-4k on his way! At one point, another tech came up to me and asked me if that was my STI. As I was waiting for a manager he smiled and said "You're car sounds awesome!" Pissed off at this point I looked back at him straight faced and bluntly stated, "Yeah, everyone can sure hear it." He just smiled and walked back into the service bay, unkown to him that I was complaining about the very thing.

After a couple minutes the manager came and I explained the situation to him, again prefacing it with the fact that I never make these kinds of complaints. He said it would never happen again. I didn't expect anything out of, but he met me at the check out counter and made sure my oil change was free of charge, which I appreciated. Meanwhile, I had one of the registration guys following me around and kissing my butt, shaking my hand three times, and making sure that if I have any issues to call him.

It was kind of awkward... The whole situation was actually pretty awkward, since I'm not one to ever make service complaints. I just figured I'd share my story and see if anyone else has had anything happen similar.

-Zach

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Sucks to hear they are acting that stupid. Hopefully they actually take action unlike the Jeep dealer here I dealt with.

It doesn't really surprise me anymore, dealerships will hire anyone off the street that knows how a wrench works to change oil so the actual technicians are not wasting time and they only have to shell out minimum wage.

It seems I saw another story something similar here that resulted in an actual problem with the vehicle that the owner had a pain dealing with. I would maybe try another dealership from this point forward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
It's good that dealer or maintenance management seemed to take an interest and try to address the problem. I wouldn't like that, either..but my experience agrees with XJ. It seems like the folks that are interested/available for auto-related work may also going be the folks that want to flog our cars in some way.

I've always done my own stereo installs, but back in around 2000, when I owned a '91 MR2 Turbo, the place that sold me my amp offered to do the install for next to nothing. Some kind of promotion for their services, I guess. I agreed, and settled-in. They did a satisfactory job of installing the amp, took longer than expected, but along the way home, I took a look at my trip meter, and discovered that there were 10 more miles on the car than there should be. (I had just tripped it at a gas station)

So Laurel and Hardy back in the install bay apparently had taken my car for a little joyride. Not sure why an amp install requires that. I wasn't very happy...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Sucks to hear but reasons like this is why I never used any of the free oil changes from the dealership. I'd rather flip the bill then get some half assed service.

I agree with XJ, they are now hiring anyone and everyone who can hold a screw driver in their hand. The horror stories from the local dealerships around me are enough to keep me away. Heck I'll even replace/repair some minor bits and pieces here and there myself even if they would be covered under warranty.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
At least your dealer takes care of you. Mine is awful. Everytime I go in there for anything I end up calling SOA.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
It's tragic it has gotten this bad. Once upon a time dealers cared. People were hanging on to cars longer and service was more frequent so you needed to wow the customer to keep them coming. Vehicles were simpler and easier to repair at home.

Now, everyone has cars and nobody has the time or desire to do anything so they will just shell out to have someone do it. The dealerships have limitless pools of people to take money from so they don't care.

·
Registered
784 Posts
At least your dealer takes care of you. Mine is awful. Everytime I go in there for anything I end up calling SOA.
lol speaking of which, i've only been to the dealership once for a recall and they screwed it up so bad i had to involve SOA. The dealership couldn't even perform a simple recall. Replace the intake tube that connects the turbo to the intake. I walk into the dealership and the manager starts yelling at me (this is an exact quote) "Oh you think you're smarter than me?! Are you calling me an idiot?!"

I told him to go get the service instructions for the recall, calmly showed him what needs to be done and shut him up. Told him he's going to give me the part and I'm going to perform the recall myself free of charge, i'll bring the old piece back to complete the recall because i can't trust anyone there to even look at my car sideways especially after being treated like that.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
I probably wouldn't have minded that, and maybe even been flattered, except at the point where you got upset. They could have let the filter fill up properly at least first.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Laurel and Hardy back in the install bay apparently had taken my car for a little joyride. Not sure why an amp install requires that. I wasn't very happy...
I've had this happen on two occasions.
1) I was getting my winter tires mounted at Auto Tire and I heard my car fire up after the job was finished. Except instead of hearing it pull around front, I heard it take off at nearly WOT on the roadway. I immediately went to the front desk and asked why the hell someone had just driven my car off of the lot. After a lot of nervous hesitation my car pulled back up and the front desk went and talked with the tech. They advised me they were resetting the TPMS. I called them on their bull**** and told them they weren't insured or instructed to drive my car on the roadway and that I'd never be back. I have since found a great tire shop.

2) When I got my STI I waited until after the break-in period to take my car to the tint shop. I have a guy do it who does a good job and pretty much gives cops half off. That, and I can read people well enough to be a little apprehensive about this guy. I picked up my car and forgot to check the mileage again. I can't remember if I was excited or in a hurry or what, but shortly down the road my suspicious were confirmed and the car had a few more miles then I remembered. I've saved several hundred bucks by going to that guy, so I was a little hesitant to say anything. Either way, I don't think I'll be back. But, at the same time, I don't know where to go or who I can trust. Especially seeing as how my next car will be something along the lines of a Mustang GT, Type R, or some other car that screams "drive me!" Who can you trust, anymore?

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
I've watched techs at Chrysler dealerships do wot clutch dump/neutral drops and roast off tires of customer vehicles then take them to be cleaned so nobody knows.

The vast majority of the time it's the kids. The actual ASE master guys are not impressed by our hooptys. Those guys get excited by the rarity vehicles, classics, and restomod stuff. They have also usually been in the field long enough to be jaded and not have as much excitement as the children.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
The last time I went to the dealer, it was because my headlight was filling with water. They claimed it was because I didn't let the dealer install the replacement headlamp bulbs I had in.

I called SOA, they "fixed" it.

I got home, realized my front bumper was not lined up at all, with huge gaps everywhere, clips missing, etc.
I went back, demanded they fix it. They tried to tell me I hit something on the way home and needed to talk to my insurance company.

I called SOA, They fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Wanna see the bulb floating around the rear housing that the dealership left there when they worked on my legacy?

·
38,620 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
It's clobberin' time.
It makes you wonder, what type of other clients they have, that they think they can get away with something like that. FFS!

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's always an unknown dropping the car off with strangers. It was one of the reasons for getting an AP - I just throw the car into valet mode and advise them that it won't go much above 4k rpm. I explain it's nothing personal but I just want to avoid the horror stories experience by others. My tuner is one of only two guys to have openly ragged on it (to test, and it's probably a boring task compared to the other cars he drives daily), and at my request (away from the shop) a salesman at the dealership who owns much more powerful cars (I wanted to see how capable my car is - and without even being harsh on it he didn't disappoint LOL!).

My dealership is the exception as I remove the AP each time. They have some poor reviews of joyriding techs, but the most I have seen is 2 miles when I asked them to check out a poor alignment job. I have also watched the young techs drive manual cars on the lot and they seem both capable and respectful. I just grind my teeth and leave every time as I kind of just don't want to know to be honest - I need them to be onside if I have any warranty problems, especially when running an AP.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Yes. Cold oil doesn't flow well and is not providing proper lubrication to anything. Super cold oil such as below freezing and down to negetive temps when the oil gets thick can also damage oil pumps because the oil is so thick.

·
38,620 Posts
^this.
I think we've become so spoiled to "bullet-proof" engines in the 21st century that some basics are being forgotten. My friends and I beat on our cars pretty hard, in high school...but we all knew to make sure oil was flowing, first.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Even the use of block heaters has disappeared. Few years ago when we were regularly seeming -10 to -20 only the older guys had them put on the pan. Some of the really young guys at work had no idea what they were. It was good fun watching the diesel kids trying to fire up their trucks, it was cold enough one night that none of them could get anything to fire.

We had to get the propane dock heaters from maintenance and heat up the block and fuel tanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Change your own oil. The WRX is one of the easiest to change too. Only an outback is easier because you don't even need ramps, you can reach under to the plug.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts