ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking to buy an STi with some sort of problem, like a blown engine. I don't have the money for one in good running condition so I am looking for one that needs work on it. I don't care what year it is or what color or what mods. Has to be clean title and no significant body damage. Mileage should be less than 140k. But like I said, it has to have a problem with it so I can get it for cheapish. I am located in San Jose, CA but I will be willing to drive out to any where in CA if the price is right. Let me know what you have.

Also, I have a 1998 M3 in great condition with 140k miles. Very clean. Interior is 9.5/10. Color is silver. It is a 5 speed. It currently has a short shifter and getting new coilovers. I have gotten offers for 9.5k so I will place the value of it at 9k. I can trade this car with your STi if the car and price is right.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You're going to spend more money trying to fix issues with a blown motor than buying one in good condition. See if someone will give you a straight trade for your car, that's your best bet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is, I get free labor from my buddies who own shops. All I have to do is pay for parts, which are still cheap with their discounts.

·
Æternum
20,622 Posts
You're going to spend more money trying to fix issues with a blown motor than buying one in good condition.
This.

·
8,921 Posts
The thing is, I get free labor from my buddies who own shops. All I have to do is pay for parts, which are still cheap with their discounts.
Parts can still cost an arm and a leg. Plus I wouldn't trust your buddy who owns shops. I would only be taking my car to a reputable shop that has years and years of building Subaru motors. Your best bet is to find an STI that's a bit rough around the edges or just needs to be caught up on maintenance and trade straight up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If my buddies can't do it, I'll just go to my dad's shop and work on the car with him. He's one of the best mechanics I know. The reason I didn't want to go to him is because we bump heads a lot haha. He loves working on subaru's, he says that they're one of the easiest cars to work on. He's finishing swapping over a STi drivetrain into a 2.5rs GC. He did all the wiring from scratch. Trust me when I say that i can handle a car with problems. My first car was a pos 87 535i, and we built it from the ground up to a touge car haha. Total sleeper. Normally it would cost over 14k for the build that we did but we did it for under 3k.

·
8,921 Posts
If my buddies can't do it, I'll just go to my dad's shop and work on the car with him. He's one of the best mechanics I know. The reason I didn't want to go to him is because we bump heads a lot haha. He loves working on subaru's, he says that they're one of the easiest cars to work on. He's finishing swapping over a STi drivetrain into a 2.5rs GC. He did all the wiring from scratch. Trust me when I say that i can handle a car with problems. My first car was a pos 87 535i, and we built it from the ground up to a touge car haha. Total sleeper. Normally it would cost over 14k for the build that we did but we did it for under 3k.
Swapping an STI drivetrain into an RS is childs play when it comes to these cars. The hardest part about that is the wiring. Building a Subaru boxer motor is very complicated and not many people can do it well. I don't even trust most dealerships to put one together.

·
Æternum
20,622 Posts
Hey it's your choice. But I would be very careful about this. I'd budget 30% more than the price of the parts alone if you plan on performing the labor yourself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey man i have a 02 wrx black blue mica in good condition. couple set of wheels with it. car ran 285whp on a sti shortblock ran great untill i blew it up. just needs a shortblock for a 1000 bucks or so. clean title in hand lookin for 5-6K i can email you a full parts list. as well but disragurd the shortblock info bc its junk. lmk!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts