ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Subaru SPT STS is $265, the Kartboy is $100. I run the Kartboy on my '09, it was $120 with the bushings. Very easy to install. A must-have for these cars in my opinion. Have seen Cobb dual-adjustable STS for $135 on E-bay. Looks like a superior product, if you can find one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i tested a subaru sts on a 2012 sti with rubber bushings, i instantly told the dealer to add it. kartboy only shortens the shifter, factory replaces all the linkage too. this is all info on a 2012 though i dont know if there is a difference in the years. if your ordering a 2012 you wont have to install or pay to install sts because its put on at factory...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason why I ask is because I have a cobb sts in my 2011 but I get a grinding noise every now and a again when shifting into second. So I was thinking of going for the subaru one because it shortens the linkage and hopefully it would get rid of the grinding I sometimes get with the cobb

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
kartboy only shortens the shifter, factory replaces all the linkage too.
that is incorrect.

The factory unit does replace the linkage, but that is all it replaces. It still has rubber bushings and the stock shift lever.

The Kartboy unit only replaces the lever, but this lever change both the knob height (by about 1" shorter), and the pivot point to ball/cup geometry. This change in pivot point reduces 3rd-4th throw by 40%. It is not uncommon to have both the SPT short linkage and an aftermarket short lever.

In either case, whether you get lever, linkage, or both, it is strongly recommended that you do get urethane bushings and install them.

The reason why I ask is because I have a cobb sts in my 2011 but I get a grinding noise every now and a again when shifting into second. So I was thinking of going for the subaru one because it shortens the linkage and hopefully it would get rid of the grinding I sometimes get with the cobb
What kind of grinding sound are you getting? Does it appear to be the lever (pivot point or ball/cup related) that is grinding? Or does it seem to be linkage related (if the bottom stick is too long for a shorter throw, but you did not trim the metal shroud enough)? Or does it sound like the gears in the tranny are grinding?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a cobb and im looking to add a subaru sts. has anyone tried this? if so how much difference is there over just the cobb and bushings?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I actually just talked to another member about this very setup... It provides for a 'short as hell throw', and that member was coming from driving Z cars, so it would suspect it is a very very short throw.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Lets just say I wanted to do both oem STS and kartboy lever in the future, what would you buy first? The lever or the OEM? or would you choose cobb over kartboy?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Cobb sts also and I think the Cobb is great. Cause not only can you adj throw but shifter height also. I find that if I adj the lower part of sts right below the metal on bottom of rubber boot than I don't have to worry about over adj and wearing the bushing out. And with the top side all the way extended I get a nice race car feel with shifting. Especially down shifting. It's so nice.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Jonny1106 said:
Lets just say I wanted to do both oem STS and kartboy lever in the future, what would you buy first? The lever or the OEM? or would you choose cobb over kartboy?
I wouldn't buy the factory kit, period. You can replace the lever and all bushings with aftermarket parts and pay less than you would for the factory kit.

I wouldn't buy Cobb over Kartboy. I have never seen the need for height adjustability, and TiC offers a package deal for the Kartboy lever and all bushings

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I have the cobb....adjusted to have the shortest throw and lowest height, plus the cobb knob making finished height rather low....I love the position and throw, though I know it is not for everyone.

Regardless of which STS you go for, make sure you get the TiC pivot bushing.....the other bushings are a must have as well, but I think the pivot bushing is overlooked too often.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Kartboy is superior to the Cobb and is an easy install 10 minute install.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wouldn't buy the factory kit, period. You can replace the lever and all bushings with aftermarket parts and pay less than you would for the factory kit.

I wouldn't buy Cobb over Kartboy. I have never seen the need for height adjustability, and TiC offers a package deal for the Kartboy lever and all bushings
Cool man thanks a lot. I was planning on going with the kartboy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts