Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first off- never had a brand new car before, so I don't have a lot to compare this to. All of my previous cars came with scratches, dings, etc. But- My car has 4000 miles on it, and it has scratches and paint chips all over it:unhappy: Some very long ones. This car seems to scratch if you breath on it hard. Yesterday, I was washing the car, as I do religiously several times a week, when I accidently kicked the hose up and drug it about 18" along my driver's side door. VERY lighty. Voila! 18" scratch.

So, part of this post is a rant, I admit. However, also looking for advice on products to use, tips of what you guys use to avoid these scratches. It's very disheartening to have 4000 miles on a brand new car and scratches everywhere I look.:thumbdown

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
Sorry about your luck...really. I just remember how much worse my Infiniti paint was and then I'm like, meh. Plus I got white for a reason. Subaru paint isn't great, no. Wash it, polish it, put a good sealant on it. If you NEED to touch it up, try Dr. Colorchip. It blends well if you follow the directions properly. It's a car...poop happens.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rubber on the hose which lives its life on the ground can easily tear up a car of any quality. This should not be very surprising[?].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not surprising. But comparatively, my Audi has had the hose drug across it multiple times because I don't GAF about it, and the scratches, if any, are very fine or unnoticeable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Apparently a lot of people get a clear bra put on the front and then get the mudflaps for the sides. None of that would have helped the scratch of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just saw a buddies '16 Golf R yesterday, whatever VW's comparable paint to Lapis blue. His paint is perfect, impeccable. Not sure how many miles are on it, I believe between 15 and 20,000 miles. He said the car came with a clear bra from the factory on the majority of the front end. From what I could tell, the back looked just as nice, though. Maybe VW just (as in my Audi) has great paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently a lot of people get a clear bra put on the front and then get the mudflaps for the sides. None of that would have helped the scratch of course.
That's the next mod- Rally Armour mudflaps. So far I'm just too cheap to pay $180, been cruising CL for some used ones.

·
Registered
338 Posts
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/exter...-rally-innovations-light-bars-stock-sale.html

Good price on the RA mudguards but you need to PM for price.
They went on easy without having to remove the wheels. Easier than Rokbloks which i put on my crosstrek. Both are about equally effective.

Subaru paint is horribly soft. I had a clear bra put on the front bumper and 1/3 of the hood and the side rockers Hoping it helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, kmax. I sent them a PM. I feel a little better after watching a few videos on how to remove clear coat scratches, seems easy enough. Time consuming, but easy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In the last 6 years I have had 2 new VWs, and a new Toyota 4runner, in addition to my 2016 WRX. I always heard complaints about subaru paint, but I just chocked it up to the paint regulations we have now, that makes all new car paint suck. After driving my wrx for 8 months, I realized it is MUCH WORSE then any of the new cars I have had.

To deal with scratches, I use Optimum Gloss Coat ceramic coating, to add a semi-permanent layer of protection over the factory clear. This is great against scratches, marring, and pretty much everything but rock chips. Even though I am very careful, I have over 20+ rock chips, some minor, some not. A clear bra is the only way to protect against rock chips, but I didn't want to drop $600-$800 for that.

I do use Dr. Color Chip to fill in my chips, whenever I can. It matches well, and the way it works, I am able to fill the chip with paint, and remove excess touch up paint from the area surrounding the chip. It doesn't work in all chips, especially the big/deep ones, but it does a pretty good job on the smaller ones. You can still see the chips, but only in the right light, and if you are up close, and know where to look.

Here is a pic of a chip I filled with Dr. Color Chip on my front bumper. There is a larger chip, and a smaller chip below it.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
I've seen these threads and comparisons on every forum for every car I've ever owned with all this photographic evidence of how poor the paint is in comparison to everyone else's.

It's all down to where you drive and the shape of the front. A Jeep Wrangler gets flogged and windshield replacements are a several time a year issue. Because of shape, not quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're right about that. I know someone with a 2015 Forrester on her 3rd NEW windshield because of the almost vertical design. Rocks are a new windshield, not a fill unless caught immediately.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
I cope by just not really caring that much about material things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm normally right there with ya, but this is my first (ever) new car- as a rule I let someone else take the resale value hit. I paid a lot for this car, I'm not rich, and it's just killing me every time I see a new scratch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very unfortunate to hear that the paint is messed up. Frankly Japanese cars have cheap paint compared with European cars.
Not sure if there is anything you can do about it other than what other people suggested here.
Even my 2014 Acura MDX isn't that much better. My 10 year old Mercedes looked better than the MDX....But I am a guy who don't mind too much about the cosmetics.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yesterday, I was washing the car, as I do religiously several times a week, when I accidently kicked the hose up and drug it about 18" along my driver's side door. VERY lighty. Voila! 18" scratch.
You could be causing this when you wash. Most people wash improperly- using only one bucket with no grit guard. If this is you, read on. If you do the two bucket/two grit guard method, ignore the rest.

One bucket method causes scratches because the single bucket that contains your wash solution also contains all the dirt that was taken off the car. When you dip your wash mitt in this bucket, you're dragging dirt across your paint, causing scratches.

Buy two buckets, and two grit guards that fit buckets. Grit guards keep all the crap at the bottom of the bucket, and you rub your mitt across it on the bottom. No dirt floats up past the guard. One bucket is rinse bucket, one bucket is wash bucket. Both have grit guards. Rinse bucket is where you shake all the dirt off and drag the mitt across the grit guard, the majority of the dirt is released here. Wring out mitt above this bucket, then dunk mitt in the wash bucket with grit guard. What little dirt remains will fall below the grit guard, keeping this bucket cleaner so you're not dragging dirt across your vehicle.

Also, do not use a water blade to dry the car off. Do not use a dry towel. Use a towel that's misted with quick detail spray when drying, and don't RUB the car. Just drag the towel across the paint (if really anal, drag it across the paint the way the wind flows over the car). A lot of people just use a dry towel and actually rub the paint to dry it. That causes micro marring, due to rubbing and any dust that make have kicked up onto the car since you're outside. A lightly misted towel will provide lubrication (and make the car shine when drying), which will encapsulate any dust particles and help the towel glide while drying.

I didn't learn this stuff until my second new vehicle; I used to wash like a newbie and wondered why my paint looked like crap. Jump on /r/autodetailing to learn more if you have questions or shoot me a PM. This will definitely keep your paint looking good if you wash it multiple times a week, otherwise you're probably just scratching it when you wash it.

PS- You can correct all these types of scratches, but I'm not gonna type a novel about the paint correction process.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You could be causing this when you wash. Most people wash improperly- using only one bucket with no grit guard. If this is you, read on. If you do the two bucket/two grit guard method, ignore the rest.

One bucket method causes scratches because the single bucket that contains your wash solution also contains all the dirt that was taken off the car. When you dip your wash mitt in this bucket, you're dragging dirt across your paint, causing scratches.

Buy two buckets, and two grit guards that fit buckets. Grit guards keep all the crap at the bottom of the bucket, and you rub your mitt across it on the bottom. No dirt floats up past the guard. One bucket is rinse bucket, one bucket is wash bucket. Both have grit guards. Rinse bucket is where you shake all the dirt off and drag the mitt across the grit guard, the majority of the dirt is released here. Wring out mitt above this bucket, then dunk mitt in the wash bucket with grit guard. What little dirt remains will fall below the grit guard, keeping this bucket cleaner so you're not dragging dirt across your vehicle.

Also, do not use a water blade to dry the car off. Do not use a dry towel. Use a towel that's misted with quick detail spray when drying, and don't RUB the car. Just drag the towel across the paint (if really anal, drag it across the paint the way the wind flows over the car). A lot of people just use a dry towel and actually rub the paint to dry it. That causes micro marring, due to rubbing and any dust that make have kicked up onto the car since you're outside. A lightly misted towel will provide lubrication (and make the car shine when drying), which will encapsulate any dust particles and help the towel glide while drying.

I didn't learn this stuff until my second new vehicle; I used to wash like a newbie and wondered why my paint looked like crap. Jump on /r/autodetailing to learn more if you have questions or shoot me a PM. This will definitely keep your paint looking good if you wash it multiple times a week, otherwise you're probably just scratching it when you wash it.

PS- You can correct all these types of scratches, but I'm not gonna type a novel about the paint correction process.
Pffft... just drive it through a carwash

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I've seen these threads and comparisons on every forum for every car I've ever owned with all this photographic evidence of how poor the paint is in comparison to everyone else's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
+1

Maybe with the exception of certain German cars. Those do seem to have pretty good paint (although I would take cheap paint over expensive engine repairs any day).
But all the Japanese and american cars I see for the most part have equivalent paint.

The paint chip obsessed among us should just vinyl wrap the whole car on day 1 and not worry about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts