Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the car world here, just got out of diesel trucks and bought myself a 2011 Subaru WRX STI, came with an exhaust, cold air, and Cobb tuner, not to sure what else has been done to it as I don't know a whole lot about these engines, just looking for some tips or what to look for to see what else has been done to it thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also just wanted to add that I think it has a BOV, it sure sounds like it but I'm not sure if thats just how they sound or where it would be located, TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I would buy a stock recirculating valve or adjust your current bov to full recirculating. The intake will make the sound of the bpv more noticable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Well the OP could be hearing the intake/bpv noise. I know on my last wrx it almost sounded like a bov with the intake. However, if there is an atmospheric bov on the car, XJ is correct, you would want to replace it with the stock bpv.

Assuming that you car still has a tmic, the bov/bpv would be on the right side(when looking at the engine) of the intercooler. The stock one would be silver and plain looking. An aftermarket one normally will have a different color (black/red/etc) and probably a a logo on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the OP could be hearing the intake/bpv noise. I know on my last wrx it almost sounded like a bov with the intake. However, if there is an atmospheric bov on the car, XJ is correct, you would want to replace it with the stock bpv.

Assuming that you car still has a tmic, the bov/bpv would be on the right side(when looking at the engine) of the intercooler. The stock one would be silver and plain looking. An aftermarket one normally will have a different color (black/red/etc) and probably a a logo on it.
Awesome that's what I was looking for, yeah its plain with no logo so I assumed stock but wasn't sure haha thanks man!

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Alright so you are good there. My only suggestion at this point is to take the car to a professional tuning shop. It sounds like your car has a basic stage 2 setup with the cobb accessport map. But you stated that you are unsure of what else may be done to the car. Unfortunately you broke a golden rule when buying this car, and that is buying a previously modified STi.

Doest mean that you made a bad purchase as the car may very well be healthy and the prior owner tuned it correctly for the parts. But I would take it to a shop, have them look everything over and make sure that the proper tune is applied to the ecu for the mods that you have. I would also have them do a compression/leak down test to ensure that all is good inside the engine. It may cost a few bills to have this done, but making sure the engine is healthy and the tune is correct will be much cheaper than a new engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright so you are good there. My only suggestion at this point is to take the car to a professional tuning shop. It sounds like your car has a basic stage 2 setup with the cobb accessport map. But you stated that you are unsure of what else may be done to the car. Unfortunately you broke a golden rule when buying this car, and that is buying a previously modified STi.

Doest mean that you made a bad purchase as the car may very well be healthy and the prior owner tuned it correctly for the parts. But I would take it to a shop, have them look everything over and make sure that the proper tune is applied to the ecu for the mods that you have. I would also have them do a compression/leak down test to ensure that all is good inside the engine. It may cost a few bills to have this done, but making sure the engine is healthy and the tune is correct will be much cheaper than a new engine.
Yeah I have it going into a shop that specializes in Subaru's when I get home from work so they do a tune up and have a look over it, I wanna know everything that's done to it and make sure the tuning is good on it thanks for the info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts