• BMW e46

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, I would like for an unbiased opinion. I know its going to be difficult because I am on a Subaru forum. Because of this I posted the same question on a BMW forum as well.
I recently sold my old Honda because I wanted a car that wasn't FWD.
I narrowed it down to these two. I've done countless hours of researching for AWD and RWD cars in my price range and these two were my top options. (Please no car recommendations)

My question is, which car would make a more reliable daily?
I am very familiar with all kinds of repairs on my old Honda so I am definitely looking for a DIY kinda car.
Which car would be easier to work on if something were to go wrong?
Which car has more engine space to work with?
Which car would be an easier to engine swap if I wanted more power in the future?
Anyone who replies to this, thank you so much for your time :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
My question is, which car would make a more reliable daily?
The Honda you sold.

Which car would be easier to work on if something were to go wrong?
Draw.

Which car has more engine space to work with?
Probably the inline 4 in the 318 would give you the most space. The engine is tilted but that's still OK compared to the absolute pain the two banks in the Subaru are to deal with. IDK about the diesel BMW engines though -- I read they're the same as used in the Rovers of that era but I've not seen them in person I don't think.

Which car would be an easier to engine swap if I wanted more power in the future?
Fall off that bridge when you get there.

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
I had an 1998 E36 M3 a while back. Have a 2014 WRX now. I have experience with older BMW's since I owned that vehicle (bought 2nd hand) for years and put on it nearly 100k miles. If you can do all the work 100% on your own and don't need to take it to any shops then I honestly would lean more towards the E46 since it's RWD and can be thrown around for more fun. Assuming it is stick. But don't get me wrong those older WRX's are really fun and rewarding cars as well.

For reliability I think both will have issues, especially as more and more times goes on. Please don't engine swap though. I think that's silly.

Good luck and keep us posted! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts