ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into painting my rims gold. Any suggestions on paint to use? I've heard grimspeed is awesome

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You gotta be careful with rattle can anything. It doesn't have sealant in it unless it's a clear coat. If you have access to a compressor and paint gun that's the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There is nothing wrong with rattle caned wheel jobs. Did it twice to my stock wheels. Only reason I painted a second time was because the guy who did my tires back then wasn't nice to them. Then from there I powdercoated them dark bronze because my track pads ate through the clear. Usually it gets a bad rap because people don't take time to prep the wheel properly. My steelies only got a little scuff from the old red color, clean, primer, paint, clear. No chips so far.

·
Registered
123 Posts
here is a great writeup of the process... this one was done with a compressor and cheap paint gun and turned out real nice. As far as rattle-can paint, I have heard the GS stuff is decent

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyday-impreza-talk/134350229-painted-legacy-gt-snowflake-wheels-gk1-gold.html
That car looks awesome. I might do my stock wheels the same way. I painted a tractor this summer, i feel like i could handle doing wheels. LOVE me some gold wheels. beats spending x-amount of dollars on new wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts