ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished talking to Brian at Subaru Mississauga. (Parts Manager). he told me that Subaru is now keeping a database of cars that are modified. and if they have aftermarket parts during the warranty time, they will be flagged.

isn't this getting a bit extreme now? I can't even do an uppipe or downpipe on my 03 WRX... it doesn't leave me a lot of options until the warranty runs out...

grrrrrr :unhappy:

Cabby

·
Registered
29 Posts
the subaru warranty is not very long anyhow... i was told that if you use subaru's performance parts then they do not void the warranty

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
It doesn't matter if they keep a record or not. Subaru will work on the car by warranty if the problem with the car isn't due to the aftermarket part. Furthermore, even if they didn't keep a record, they won't work on it for free if the problem is due to the new part anyway.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Between stupid laws, and companies, etc. etc. we are slowly losing the freedom to modify our vehicles.

We need a bumper sticker: "I modify my ride, and I vote."

-snowcat

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Oh no....not another freedom speech.....
You are free to modify what you want on the car....you just might not be able to drive it on the public streets.

·
Banned
312 Posts
There so [lame] here in Canada

about mods.. ****in.. 90% of the population has a exhaust or come after market thing Hondas, nissans , infinitis yet subaru are pricks about it. That is ok becuase they will lose customers this way. I hope they see this post. Subaru Canada eat a d*ck!

Moderator Edit: As lame as it sounds, please watch some of the language you choose to use. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Uh flagging you doesn't mean that they'll refuse to do work on your car. If someone has an improperly tuned car and breaks something, followed by turning it back to stock to hide his own errors, it would be unfair for Subaru to have to fix it under warranty. Many companies have such sorts of monitoring measurements. BMW uses dataloggers to tell if the car is run on trackdays, modified, etc....as does many other companies

·
Registered
19 Posts
Denali said:
the subaru warranty is not very long anyhow... i was told that if you use subaru's performance parts then they do not void the warranty
isn't it comparable most other manufacturers? 5yr -100,000 K on major components. 3 yrs, 60,000 K on most other things. That's the same warranty as I had on my Nissan, and my Honda before that. I did notice though that GM is offering 4yr- 80,000 on the Saab Linear & Aero which are just rebadged Imprezas. Maybe that's why they cost so much more? My son is looking at the Linear. Maybe his GM Visa card points can offset the price enough to make it a good deal.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
schischwein said:
Oh no....not another freedom speech.....
You are free to modify what you want on the car....you just might not be able to drive it on the public streets.
Yeah, and people will be saying that a couple years from now when even grippy tires are outlawed because people might use them to driver over the speed limit... I keep wondering, where is the aftermarket parts lobby? Taken across all vehicle makes, including trucks, I would think that the industry would be fairly large and would have some cash to throw at politicians etc.

-snowcat

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Yes that's right...grippier tyres will be outlawed by the pure logic that increasing the rate of traffic/road accidents by using tyres akin to plastic ones on your child's Tonka truck will prevent people from going fast(with trackday tyres) that might cause an accident.... :rolleyes:

You might in fact be a little too high up in the mountains for your body, you don't seem to get enough oxygen to the brain.

PS-certain trackday tyres are in fact illegal to drive on the street...this is largely to do with the fact that many of such tyres have little in way of water displacement grooves....and let's face it...how many people will change tyres back and forth everyday depending on conditions of the road? Besides, trackday tyres don't last very long

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
There were no actual insults made, but rather a simulating conversation into knowing what he had intended to explain.

Also as a moderator, I'll digress

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what Brian said at Subaru Mississauga is that he has instructed any of his mechanics that see (example)

BOV
UpPipe
DownPipe
FMIC
A/F Guage and other assorted goodies

he will flag the car and have the powertrain warranty voided. and apparently other dealerships have access to this, regardless if the car is in for warranty work or an oil change.

this SUX!

·
Registered
9 Posts
imcabby said:
what Brian said at Subaru Mississauga is that he has instructed any of his mechanics that see (example)

BOV
UpPipe
DownPipe
FMIC

he will flag the car and have the powertrain warranty voided. and apparently other dealerships have access to this, regardless if the car is in for warranty work or an oil change.

this SUX!

i cant see that happening. legally your warranty cant be voided unless the aftermarket part was the direct cause. an A/F gauge cant really affect powertrain.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
imcabby said:

BOV
UpPipe
DownPipe
FMIC

this SUX!
Dealers often talk a lot more from their rears than their mouths. Legally unless they can prove it was due to increased power and/or driver error(eg lack of talent), they can't void your warranty based on your modifications. One can be seriously into modifying the car and not be a hard and fast driver....meanwhile, one could have a stock car and be extremely abusive(and frankly there are a lot who aren't great drivers that also blame factory problems for their own tranny destruction).

I wouldn't worry about rubbishness until it actually happens....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts