ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru had provided early sketches of its Advanced Tourer Concept, and many of you in the comments weren't confident that it would look as good in real life as it did in (digital) ink and paper. Dare we say it, but we think it looks better in the metal than it did in drawings. A mean, ground-hugging wagon with a 1.6-liter boxer-hybrid powertrain, its internals are close enough to production to make the jump in the not-too-distant.

Its interior, however, is another matter. Undeniably beautiful, features like the monitor in the steering wheel and the steel-rimmed wood pedals are treats we won't be seeing anytime soon. No matter – if there were to be a wagon in our future, we'd hope this were it.

click more pics/press release: autoblog.com/2011/11/30/subaru-advanced-tourer-concept-is-an-awesome-angry-wagon/

...:drive2:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Good eye. Agreed.
Unfortunately, it will look more like this when it reaches production. :tongue:

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if some version of that ends up as the new wrx/sti body style. It seems natural for that path of evolution.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Meh, I try to not bother looking at concept cars...the final production never looks like the concept. That aside, I absolutely love the body on that.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
At first glance it looks great, but ...

Most of its look comes from the fancy body kit/lines which will not make production - way too costly. Maybe the crease by the door sills, but everything else will be tamed considerably or eliminated. Secondly, the other thing that looks great is the way the car flows to a lower back end, but there is no way a production model from Subaru will be a wagon that lacks usable space in the back. Picture the back raised at least 5 inches or more, take away the fancy body lines, add normal rims and this car starts to get ordinary fast. Could be wrong, but that is what happens to most concept cars that make it to production.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think I will have to sell my Volvo V50 R when that comes out. It is a good looking wagon would be nice if it comes in an XT version with a turbo 2.5.

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
Me likey.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
At first glance it looks great, but ...

Most of its look comes from the fancy body kit/lines which will not make production - way too costly. Maybe the crease by the door sills, but everything else will be tamed considerably or eliminated. Secondly, the other thing that looks great is the way the car flows to a lower back end, but there is no way a production model from Subaru will be a wagon that lacks usable space in the back. Picture the back raised at least 5 inches or more, take away the fancy body lines, add normal rims and this car starts to get ordinary fast. Could be wrong, but that is what happens to most concept cars that make it to production.
Dunno.. when they brought out the concept of the current GR body sti it was pretty similar to what actually rolled off the production lines.

For the everyday car though, yes I agree with you 100%.. but if this is any clue as to another sti release.. it may very well look quite similar. No one will know until one actually lands on our soil destined for sale vs show.

Reactions: J_Maher_WRX

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
dunno that's the feeling I get is that the intent for this body style is not a hybrid at all but something a little more angry. AKA.. wrx/sti.

One thing I LOVE about this shape though.. is the reduction in front overhang. I love my '10.. but DAMN it has a long nose for a little car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts