ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please understand that I would never ask my parents to purchase me a vehicle but, as a 19 year old student, I don't think insurance companies like most of the people my age. That being said, I was informed that my dad can get $3k off of any brand new vehicle as long as it is under the GM trademark ( i.e. Cadillac, Chevrolet, Saab, Hummer, etc.). I was told that General Motors owns the majority of stock in Subaru and that that is why the 9-2X looks so much like a rex wagon. Does anyone know if GM claims subarus like they claim Saab? If so, a new WRX would definately be a possibility, assuming I could get one for the price of a used 04. Any information would be greatly appreciated guys!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Subaru is only 20% owned by GM. If you want the Suby, you'll have to go for the Saabaru.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Is the $3000 off just off the sticker price or after negotiation? If it's just $3k off and the deal is closed, I'd say screw it and just buy the Subaru if you get a good deal. A lot of those "I'll get you a discount because I work for (fill in the blank)" deals are pretty lame.

Or just buy the Caveza - Chevy's new Impreza-based Cavalier. Supposedly, GM engineers fit a spare engine under the back of it for roadside repairs when the original motor craps out at 18,000 miles. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The $3000 is just off of the sticker price, you're right that I could probably get a better deal. I was just wondering because my parents are all about GM products and I would really like to have their blessing on this next car. It has to be on their insurance and in their name because insurance for a 19 yr. old is ridiculous, so they have a say in the car I purchase. Definately not going with anything related to a Cavalier. If I cannot do the WRX I'm definately going 01 2.5RS Coupe. I'd like to not have to make payments at all but something like $100 a month for 5 years wouldn't be so bad. Thanks for the input guys, definately not going to be able to afford a brand new wrx but hopefully someone will be willing to part with theirs for a reasonable price next spring.

Integra96 said:
Is the $3000 off just off the sticker price or after negotiation? If it's just $3k off and the deal is closed, I'd say screw it and just buy the Subaru if you get a good deal. A lot of those "I'll get you a discount because I work for (fill in the blank)" deals are pretty lame.

Or just buy the Caveza - Chevy's new Impreza-based Cavalier. Supposedly, GM engineers fit a spare engine under the back of it for roadside repairs when the original motor craps out at 18,000 miles. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
If his father is an employee of GM and it's holdings (incl. GM defense, Hughes, etc.) they get a VIP/friends and family discount. The member gets coupons each year that allows them to get the discount off of the invoice price on any GM car or truck. My Subaru dealer will honor the GM discount if I present the coupon. I don't know if the is just giving me the Subaru VIP discount.

In my family we have folks who are employees of Hughes Aircraft. I gots mine.

-B4.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad's an employee of Internation Paper. I'm not sure what type of discount and it may be that it's 3 grand off of the invoice price. I'm not sure, I'm pretty set as to what I want I'm just gonna wait and see what kind of offers Subaru has going on in the spring because I figure that sales should be coming down then because of people losing an interest in AWD because of winter. Might be wishful thinking but that's just my mindset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts