Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave my car (2016 WRX) at a "valet" airport parkinglot when on buisness travel. I typically just take my key off its chain and leave it with them.
Is there any advantage leaving them the "sub key" or putting the car in "valet mode"?

I checked the manual, the sub key is only named there is no other mention of it. There are instructions for putting the car in Valet Mode but only a vague description that seems to indicate the alarm is disabled.
It would be nice if the valet mode limited performance or something in the off chance the Valet decides to ferris Bueller my car.:drive2:
Valet mode
When you choose the valet mode, the alarm system does not operate. In valet mode, the access key/remote transmitter is used only for locking and unlocking the doors and for panic activation.
To enter the valet mode, change the setting of your vehicle’s alarm system for deactivation mode. Refer to “Activating and deactivating the alarm system” F2- 26. The security indicator light will con- tinue to flash once every 3 seconds indicating that the system is in the valet mode.
To exit valet mode, change the setting of your vehicle’s alarm system for activation mode. Refer to “Activating and deactivat- ing the alarm system” F2-26.
--owners manual
I guess I could go out in the driveway and experiment...

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
I used to be a valet. I valet my car all the time. If something happens to your car then the valet company will pay for it. Most valets get a bad reputation from the few rotten eggs. However, everyone has their preferences. I will say that one of my biggest pet peeves was when a Subaru owner (any subaru) would leave me just their physical key and not their FAB. The reason this is a pain in the ass is because at that time (2009-2012) Subaru's alarm would go off no matter what unless the car was unlocked with the FAB, not the physical key. So every time we did that we had to try and fight the alarm which was annoying and embarrassing all because someone didn't want to leave their entry FAB.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I used to be a valet. I valet my car all the time. If something happens to your car then the valet company will pay for it. Most valets get a bad reputation from the few rotten eggs. However, everyone has their preferences. I will say that one of my biggest pet peeves was when a Subaru owner (any subaru) would leave me just their physical key and not their FAB. The reason this is a pain in the ass is because at that time (2009-2012) Subaru's alarm would go off no matter what unless the car was unlocked with the FAB, not the physical key. So every time we did that we had to try and fight the alarm which was annoying and embarrassing all because someone didn't want to leave their entry FAB.
Yes, they will, and I will also have to deal with the headache of getting them to comply, and actually having the repair taken care of. Easy solution? Don't valet. I'm not saying others should not. Your choice...

A few of my friends have worked or currently work valet jobs, and the things they tell me... oh man. I've personally had bad experiances in the past, so I avoid valet like the plague. Don't care if I have to park a half mile away and walk through a blizzard.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
If I owned a Bugatti or Ferrari, or some other exotic car I would second guess it. However I own a 25k econobox.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
If I owned a Bugatti or Ferrari, or some other exotic car I would second guess it. However I own a 25k econobox.

Chances are, if you own a car that nice you have enough money to easily afford another. Also, chances are if you valet a car that nice and something happens to it, you can bet the valet company will bend over backwards and suck their own ****s just to make it right.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Chances are, if you own a car that nice you have enough money to easily afford another. Also, chances are if you valet a car that nice and something happens to it, you can bet the valet company will bend over backwards and suck their own ****s just to make it right.
The places I hang out I wouldn't trust them to have the insurance to pay for it. The valet at the hospital had somebody steal a car here locally in the past week or so. Good thing it wasn't that phantom that rolls around there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fab is now incorporated into the two primary keys so that's not an issue, I did find out unlocking the door with the sub key will set off the alarm which may explain why the valet mode disables the alarm.

I am a little concerned about my clutch. So few people know how to drive a stick these days...

(My dad's Chevy HRR fab keeps breaking, so if he locks the doors, there is no avoiding sting off the alarm when he unlocks. That car was such a POS and he replaced it with another HRR)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts